BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CHEESE123
Calcite | Level 5

I have 2 set of data, 1 in CSV and 1 in XLSX.

Would like to know same data but data type different (CSV vs. XLSX), but why SAS output columns sequence different?

CSV format:

I import 3 CSV data in SAS and perform data merging into 1.

output result:

Column a b c

XLSX format:

I import 2 XLSX data in SAS and perform data merging into 1.

output result:

Column b c a

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Without seeing the source data AND how you import and merge things this question really can't be answered.

If you use proc import and the order of columns in the original files is the same what you state is very unlikely to happen though the specific syntax of how you "merge" the data may have an affect.

If the columns of data in different files, the CSV and XLSX, are in different order than that would be a very likely cause.

People creating XLSX files are pretty notorious for having orders of columns change without notice

CHEESE123
Calcite | Level 5
yes... I am use proc import.

May I know is there any way for me to reorder the output column?

I have arrange the column seq in SAS(column a b c), then perform output the result in excel. But the column is back to the incorrect order (column b c a).
ballardw
Super User

@CHEESE123 wrote:
yes... I am use proc import.

May I know is there any way for me to reorder the output column?

I have arrange the column seq in SAS(column a b c), then perform output the result in excel. But the column is back to the incorrect order (column b c a).

Show the code you are using.

I suspect that your "arrange the column seq" isn't doing what you think but I'm not going to guess what you may have tried.

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

You can force order of variable by entering a statement next to DATA statement,

either:

data <output>;
    retain <list of variables in desired order);
run;

or:

data <output>;
     format <ordered list>; /* without assigning formats */

thus, by mentioning the variable names as first statement, the output should be in same order. 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation