BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wjd3
Obsidian | Level 7

I teach a SAS programming class for the University of Arizona using SAS Studio.  Some students access SAS Studio via University Edition (UE), the others via OnDemand for Academics (ODA) as an independent learner.  In addition, most students have PCs using Windows, the remainder have Macs.  For students with Macs, the set of 17 tasks within Tasks and Utilities / Tasks / Statistics is the same for both University Edition and OnDemand for Academics: Data Exploration, Summary Statistics, Distribution Analysis, etc.  However, for students using PCs and Windows, the set of tasks in Statistics is not the same between University Edition vs OnDemand for Academics.  On PCs, University Edition makes available only 4 tasks within Statistics: Distribution Analysis, One-Way Frequencies, Correlation Analysis, and Table Analysis; whereas on Macs all 17 tasks are available.  In summary:

Number of Statistics Tasks Available in Tasks and Utilities / Tasks / Statistics,

Machine Type vs SAS Studio interface:

UE    ODA

PC        4       17

Mac     17      17

Please see the attached screenshots, both taken on a PC, one within University Edition (SAS Studio 3.71 Basic Edition) and the other within OnDemand for Academics (SAS Studio 3.7 Enterprise Edition) for visual evidence of what I am describing above.

Can anyone explain this discrepancy?  Can I change some parameters within University Edition on PCs so that I can see all 17 statistics tasks?  Or, for students using PCs, must I switch the University Edition users to OnDemand for Academics?  Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Bill

P.S. I compared the University Edition "About SAS Studio" screen on a PC versus on a Mac, and there is a difference in the Site Name and Site Number information between the two.  On a PC, "Site Name: *" and "Site Number: NaN" is displayed.  On a Mac, "Site Name: UNIVERSITY EDITION 2.7 9.4 M5" and "Site Number: 70233773" is displayed.  All other information is identical between the two machines.  Does this difference relate to the discrepancy noted above?

10 REPLIES 10
AmyP_sas
SAS Employee

This is strange.  I'm looking at the University Edition on my Windows machine & am seeing all of those tasks listed.  There's nothing we do during configuration that should make the task list different between Windows & a Mac - the VM is exactly the same.  I'm wondering if something's gotten corrupted on your Windows version.  Would you be willing to try re-installing?  Or perhaps a tech support track might be in order if that fails.  Sorry you're having this issue!

wjd3
Obsidian | Level 7

Amy -

Thanks for your reply.  I'm working with Daniel Duval to solve this issue.

- Bill

BrianGaines
SAS Employee

Bill,

That should not be the case.  I just accessed UE from my PC, which is also using SAS Studio 3.71 Basic Edition, and all 17 tasks in the Statistics category are visible as they should be:ueStatTasks.png

Have you observed this problem on more than one PC?  My guess is that something is not right with the install on the Windows machine.  I would delete the UE appliance from your VM program, download a new OVA file, and then re-import it.  That will hopefully take care of it, but if not, please post back.

wjd3
Obsidian | Level 7

Brian -

Thanks for your reply.  I'm working with Daniel Duval to resolve this issue.

- Bill

danielduval0
SAS Employee

Unfortunately, I believe the PC version of SAS University Edition you are using may have been corrupted.

I have included a screenshot of the Statistics tasks included in both the Windows (PC) version and MacOS version of SAS University Edition.

SAS University Edition (Mac Version)SAS University Edition (Mac Version)SAS University Edition (Windows Version)SAS University Edition (Windows Version)

I have also included a screenshot of the Statistics tasks included in both the Windows (PC) version and MacOS version of SAS OnDemand for Academics: SAS Studio.

SAS OnDemand for Academics: SAS Studio (Mac Version)SAS OnDemand for Academics: SAS Studio (Mac Version)SAS OnDemand for Academics: SAS Studio (Windows Version)SAS OnDemand for Academics: SAS Studio (Windows Version)

All four versions on my side seem to include the 17 Statistics tasks.

Perhaps you need to try downloading the newest SAS University Edition vApp (unvbasicvapp__9411014__ova__en__sp0__1.ova file) from our website, and try removing/re-importing your SAS University Edition vApp from Oracle VirtualBox.

I have included a word document with steps going over the process of how to remove/re-import the SAS University Edition vApp file into Oracle VirtualBox for both Windows and MacOS.

Let me know if you have any further questions/concerns!

Best Regards,

Daniel DuVal

SAS Technical Support

+1 (919) 531-2211

SAS ▪ SAS Campus Drive ▪ Cary, NC  27513

SAS® … THE POWER TO KNOW®

wjd3
Obsidian | Level 7

Daniel -

Thanks for getting back to me.  I followed the directions you send me for removing/re-importing SAS UE into Oracle Virtual Box on Windows.  It did not seem to seem to solve the problem; I have enclosed an after remove/re-import screen shot.  I also noticed that my copy of UE on my Windows PC does not have all the Tasks that you have in your copy of UE on your machine; I just have 4 tasks: Data, Graph, Combinatorics and Probability, and Statistics.  In my copy of SAS Studio OnDemand for Academics on my PC, I have 12 tasks.  Do you have additional insight into what is causing this problem?  Thanks

- Bill

danielduval0
SAS Employee

Can you verify that you are logging in to the SAS OnDemand for Academics: Control Center to log in to SAS Studio?

SAS OnDemand for Academics: SAS Studio should have 17 tasks under the "Statistics" folder. Can you send me a screenshot of your SAS OnDemand for Academics: SAS Studio screen with only 12 tasks?

As far as SAS University Edition goes, have you made sure to download the latest SAS University Edition vApp (unvbasicvapp__9411014__ova__en__sp0__1.ova file) ?

Click "Get SAS University Edition" to Download the latest SAS University Edition vAppClick "Get SAS University Edition" to Download the latest SAS University Edition vApp

One reason you may only have 4 Tasks under the statistics folder in SAS University Edition is if you have an older version of the SAS University Edition vApp downloaded and are trying to re-import the older version into Oracle VirtualBox.

If you have downloaded the latest SAS University Edition vApp, removed the old one from Oracle VirtualBox, and have re-imported the new SAS University Edition vApp into Oracle VirtualBox, then you should see 17 tasks in the Statistics Folder.

Try following the instructions on the word document I sent you in my last post after downloading the latest SAS University Edition vApp and let me know if you are still unable to see the 17 Statistics Tasks.

Best Regards,

Daniel DuVal

SAS Technical Support

+1 (919) 531-2211

wjd3
Obsidian | Level 7

Daniel -

1) There may have been a bit of miscommunication.  Within SAS OnDemand for Academics on my Windows PC, I have 12 general tasks (Data, Graphs, Combinatorics and Probability, Statistics, Power and Sample Size, Multivariate Analysis, etc.) and 17 tasks within Statistics (Data Exploration, Summary Statistics, Distribution Analysis, One-Way Frequencies, Correlation Analysis, Table Analysis, t-Tests, One-Way ANOVA, etc.)  I've attached screenshots showing this.

2) For SAS University Edition on my Windows PC, I followed the directions in the document you sent my and I have tried everything that you have suggested plus deleting all folders titled "SAS University Edition" on my hard drive in the VirtualBox VMs folder (path "C:\Users\Bill\VirtualBox VMS") before re-importing the vApp.  I downloaded the unvbasicvapp__9411014__ova__en__sp0__1 file yesterday and used this during the re-import.

3) No change.  I still only have 4 general tasks (Data, Graphs, Combinatorics and Probability, and Statistics) and 4 tasks within Statistics (Distribution Analysis, One-Way Frequencies, Correlation Analysis, and Table Analysis).  I check with my students who use SAS University Edition on a Windows PC, and none of them have this same problem; i.e. they have all 12 general tasks and all 17 tasks within the Statistics task.

Please let me know if you have any additional insights into this issue.

- Bill

danielduval0
SAS Employee

You may need to try clearing your web browser's cache and cookies to resolve this issue. You can click here for tutorials on how to clear your browser's cache and cookies.

You may also want to try setting up SAS University Edition on a different computer and see if that makes a difference. Seeing as your students are not having this problem, it might help starting fresh on a new system.

In regards to SAS OnDemand for Academics: SAS Studio, it appears that you have the correct number of tasks. I misunderstood, and thought that you were saying that you only had 12 Statistics tasks.

Let me know if you are still unable to get SAS University Edition up and running with all 17 Statistics tasks after clearing your cache/cookies and trying to set it up on a different computer.

Best Regards,

Daniel DuVal

SAS Technical Support

+1 (919) 531-2211

wjd3
Obsidian | Level 7

Daniel -

I've exhausted all suggested remedies short of setting up on a new Windows machine; the problem persists.  Servicing or replacing my current university-provided PC will be my next step(s).  In the meantime when teaching my class, I will use SAS Studio via OnDemand for Academics on my PC when I need access to the tasks that are not available to me via SAS University Edition, or use my Mac (for which the subject problem with SAS UE tasks does not occur). Thank you for your time and attention.  Let's consider this issue closed for the time being.

Bill Degnan

Instructor

The University of Arizona

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation