BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChristosK
Quartz | Level 8

Having alot of difficulty getting Studio to function like 9.4.

Have installed VMWare Fusion, created my folder, linked this to SAS University edition, and have assigned folders and shortcuts.

Can't get the libnames assigned correctly, and cannot get single lines of code to run. All the lines of code seem to run, even if I highlight with F3.

Any suggestions in getting up and running with University Edition having run 9.4 base for then last 3 years?

9 REPLIES 9
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Did you follow these steps:

1. In VirtualBox, select the SAS University Edition vApp, and then select Machine > Settings.
  2. In the navigation pane, select Shared Folders, and then click the Add Folder icon (+) in the upper right of the Settings window.
  3. In the Add Share window, select Other as the folder path.
  4. In the Select Folder window, open the SASUniversityEditionfolder, and select the myfolders subfolder you created in step 1. Click Select Folder.
  5. In the Add Share window, confirm that Read-only is not selected.
  6. Select the Auto-mount and Make Permanent (if available) options, and click OK.
  7. Click OK again to close the Settings window.

When your assigning make sure you have the right folder path. Since SAS University edition is in virtual machines the environment is Linux for SAS University Edition and you need to be cautious of the case. Also make sure the "myfolders" and "SASUniversityEditionfolder" your creating has no spaces.

Thanks,
Suryakiran
ChristosK
Quartz | Level 8

VirtualBox would not install correctly. I kept on getting the error message included in the accompanying  screenshot.

Instead I was able to install VMWare Fusion.

Will try your suggestions below but one confusing problem is that I cant get a single line to run independently. It always wants to run every line of the code despite my just highlighting one line.

Reeza
Super User

VBox issues should probably be resolved with Oracle, it's not related to SAS. 

What do you mean you can't get a single line to run?

I highlight the section I want and then hit the running guy and only that code is submitted. How are you running your code? And what browser are you using?

ChristosK
Quartz | Level 8

I tried looking at the Oracle and VirtualBox sites but its didnt seem clear where I could get assistance.

Installing it should have been easy because I managed to do this last week on an earlier (2014) mac version.

Getting a single line to run doesn't seem to happen. I highlight it the same way as in base sas, then run.

That seems to run every line in the code regardless of whether its highlighted.

Instead I highlighted and pressed F3 with the same outcome....

ChristosK
Quartz | Level 8

I tried looking at the Oracle and VirtualBox sites but its didnt seem clear where I could get assistance.

Installing it should have been easy because I managed to do this last week on an earlier (2014) mac version.

Getting a single line to run doesn't seem to happen. I highlight it the same way as in base sas, then run.

Instead I highlighted and pressed F3 with the same outcome.

Reeza
Super User

@ChristosK wrote:

Instead I highlighted and pressed F3 with the same outcome.

The keyboard shortcuts are different in SAS Studio. What happens if you use the running man icon instead of shortcuts?

And I assume you're using Chrome, not IE?

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/webeditorug/68828/HTML/default/viewer.htm#keyboardshortc...

@ChristosK wrote:

Unfortunately that's a common problem with open source/free things, no/limited support. I personally found VirtualBox very problematic and use VMWare but the paid version. 

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

There are a few things that don't work in University Edition because of its locked-down state e.g. any command which requires shelling out to the operating system - make sure you're not trying to do that.

Reeza
Super User

SAS Studio is more like using SAS that's running on a server. Besides that it's pretty much the same as Base.

libname test '/folders/myfolders/';

proc means data=sashelp.class;run;

What happens if you run the following?

ChristosK
Quartz | Level 8

Tried cutting and pasting the results. Instead I have  the accompanying screenshot.

Gave up on VirtualBox. Playing around with VMware now, and beginning to get some sensible output after changing the libref va few times 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation