BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BAC
Fluorite | Level 6 BAC
Fluorite | Level 6
2017-04-11 (2).png2017-04-11.png2017-04-11 (2).png 

Hi!

I'm brand new to SAS! I'm using SAS University Edition and I am struggling to get it to find myfolders - any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? I have followed the steps listed in the SAS University Edition Help Centre on how to create a shared folder in VirtualBox  - but I still can't find it in SAS. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! 

2017-04-11 (2).png2017-04-11 (3).png2017-04-11.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

@BAC I think there's a misunderstanding. 

You can use C drive but how you reference it is what matters. You need to use the shared folder paths and Unix notation. Everything else holds constant. The instructions provided will work fine on UE, change the oaths the myfolders structure and you'll be fine. 

1. Move NHANES file to the shared myfolders you created. 

2. Create a new permanent library in SAS UE using the cabinet icon in the Libraries pane. Use the point and click interface for this step since there's an option to click that adds library definition to your autiexec

3. The remaining instructions are valid, make sure to use the proper notation as indicated by Cynthia. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

Same answer so far - screenshots?

BAC
Fluorite | Level 6 BAC
Fluorite | Level 6

My apologies! I thought I had uploaded them. 

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
When you are using SAS University Edition, you CANNOT use a C: drive location. Typically, you make a folder under your SASUniversityEdition/myfolders location, like this:
C:\SASUniversityEdition/myfolders/newdata
and then to address that folder in a LIBNAME statement, you would have:
LIBNAME mylib "/folders/myfolders/newdata";

Note how there is no reference to a C: drive in that LIBNAME statement. If you have copied your data to the /myfolders location, then you should see it in your MyFolders list -- which I do NOT see in your screen shot.

There have been many previous postings about how to access data in SAS University Edition and how to use the /folders/myfolders location.

Remember that with SASUniversityEdition, it's like you have a computer inside a computer -- your computer has a C drive, but the SAS University Edition is running in a Virtual Machine that is a Linux Virtual Machine. A VM like that does NOT have a C: drive and does not use C: drive paths. The reason you make that /myfolders location and define it in your VM software is so that the Linux machine knows where to look on your C: drive. But you can't use a Windows folder location in your LIBNAME, you need to use the shared folder location and use the Virtual Machine path
/folders/myfolders/newdata
NOT the Windows path.

cynthia
BAC
Fluorite | Level 6 BAC
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Cynthia, 

Thanks for your help. I now understand that I can't use a C: drive location, which I didn't before, so thank you! And I have realised the code I was using was wrong, so thank you again!

What I'm trying to do, is extract and copy NHANES data files to permanent libraries, and the code they have given me (below), I now realise I can't use because of what you have said.  

* Program:  C:\NHANES\DownloadData_Task3.sas               *
* Proposal: Read SAS Transport File and Create SAS Dataset *
***********************************************************;

libname NH "C:\NHANES\DATA";                 
libname XP xport "C:\NHANES\TEMP\BPX_b.xpt";

/*please remember to change your library to the directory location you downloaded your files*/
proc copy in=XP out=NH;
run;

I have attached the steps listed on how they recommend to do it, but I don't think these would work in SAS University Edition. Would you be able to offer some advice on how I could alter the code, to make it work for me?

Thank you so much!2017-04-12 (2).png

Reeza
Super User

@BAC I think there's a misunderstanding. 

You can use C drive but how you reference it is what matters. You need to use the shared folder paths and Unix notation. Everything else holds constant. The instructions provided will work fine on UE, change the oaths the myfolders structure and you'll be fine. 

1. Move NHANES file to the shared myfolders you created. 

2. Create a new permanent library in SAS UE using the cabinet icon in the Libraries pane. Use the point and click interface for this step since there's an option to click that adds library definition to your autiexec

3. The remaining instructions are valid, make sure to use the proper notation as indicated by Cynthia. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation