BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
lamba3847
Calcite | Level 5
This just started happening about 48 hours ago:

When I attempt to test my code in SAS Studio and I click on the run icon, it gets stuck on the "Running" pop up window and never finishes.
This happens no matter which file I run.
I tried everything I could think of before contacting SAS tech support (the issue is still unresloved and they are closed until Monday):
First I tried logging out and back into SAS Studio/ restarting my computer
Then I tried SAS Studio on 3 different computers (2 windows and 1 mac) 
After that, even though I knew that my internet connection was working properly (because I was still able to access other websites and apps ran normally) I connected to verizon data via hotspot.
I also tried it in three other locations with differenet isp using other computers.
I tried SAS Studio in Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Explorer (Edge)
I was finally able to get past the "Running" pinwheel after clearing my DNS cache for about 10 minutes but then I was back to the same problem again. I have a fast aproaching deadline, any advise would be highly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 7.20.23 PM.png
28 REPLIES 28
Reeza
Super User

The Status Page shows no issues:

https://status.oda.sas.com/?context=us-west-2a

If you're using the online version of SAS Studio, Academics on Demand, then you can try emailing support@sas.com or elearning@sas.com. Support is usually only available on weekdays so I'm not sure you'll get a response in time. 

SAS Studio will hang if there's something wrong in the code so it's possible there's something in your code causing the issue but it's also not very likely since you've stated you've tried different code

lamba3847
Calcite | Level 5
##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##

Thank you for your response. It is disheartening to hear that you unable to
even see the issue is occurring on your end. I am beyond frustrated.
SAS Studio does not complete the running process for any code I run. That
includes only a couple lines that are confirmed to work as well as files
that have been submitted, graded and returned. I emailed and talked with
tech support over a 4 period on Friday. I have also done the following:

First I tried logging in and out of SS/ restarting my computer

Then I tried SS on 3 different computers (2 windows and 1 mac)

Then even though I knew that my internet connection was working properly
(because I was still able to access other websites and apps ran normally) I
connect to verizon data via hotspot

I have tried SAS Studio on a couple of different computers at my Carrborro
office and Town of Cary office.

I create a new account using my other Gmail account

I tried SAS Studio in Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Explorer (Edge)

I also went into Command Prompt/Terminal on the machines I used and flushed
the DNS cache.

NONE OF THESE ATTEMPTED RESOLVED THE ISSUE

*Again, any new advise on things to try to fix this issue or alternative
ways to test SAS code would be highly appreciated.*
Reeza
Super User

Have you tried the downloaded version, SAS UE? It doesn't run on the cloud or require internet connectivity. 

SAS UE on AWS is another option but you can incur costs (usually $15/month) there. 

I also tried logging into SAS Academics on Demand and had no issues running code.

If you're taking a course this may not be helpful since the course materials aren't loaded. If it's just for learning purposes it may be easier. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 2.27.27 PM.png

lamba3847
Calcite | Level 5

I am still experiencing the same issue. Here a screen shot of what console log shows is causing the error in SAS Studio that is not allowing it to complete running code for me.

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 11.13.27 AM.png
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You you sure you submitted a working SAS program?

Did you try submitting a less complex program?

Try:

data x;
 set sashelp.class;
run;

If that works try running something that produces output.

data means data=sashelp.class;
run;
lamba3847
Calcite | Level 5
Yes i have already run at least 15 confirmed working sas programs.
Including simple, couple lines of code programs like you suggested. Please
read my previous comments where I explain everything that I have already
tried.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
Reeza
Super User

Show a simple run like Tom's code please. 

There's no issues on my side and taking a look at your code, I suspect it's an issue with your code and SAS Studio. How big is the datset you're trying to process there, how many lines are you trying to read into a dataset?

lamba3847
Calcite | Level 5

Here is a screen shot of SAS Studio freezing during the run function when attempting to process the following code:

data x;
 set sashelp.class;
run;

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 3.18.31 PM.png
pabram
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I have exactly the same problems as described above. I also tried the same things and did not find any solution. I am having a hard time.

Will you please provide any suggestions? thanks in advance

Reeza
Super User
It's freezing on the exact same code? You need to provide more details.
pabram
Calcite | Level 5

It happens no matter the code is. I am using even the simplest code ( assigning a library) written by the teacher. I have been studying since october and never happened before. It all started on Tuesday. It gets stuck on running and never completes. sas support cant find the solution up to now

Reeza
Super User
Delete the VM and reinstall. You can save your autoexec but you won't lose anything either as long as you don't delete the myfolders folder.
pabram
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks a lot for your response. I asked the local support team to proceed as you suggested. I am enrolled in a training course and need their approval to do so. I am still waiting for their answer. It appears to them to be a weird issue.

Reeza
Super User

@lamba3847 
In the post above, your code isn't what would be considered valid. You shouldn't have options within a data step. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 9 in conversation