BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
1980Zara
Calcite | Level 5

I am using the web version of SAS Studio. Can I schedule to run a script program if I am using the 3.3 edition?

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Think through it: how can an event make your browser start up, navigate to the URL of SAS Studio, enter your credentials to log on, load a program and run it? Reliably, at that?

Answer: not possible, especially not with any sense of security in mind.

Save your job as SAS code to the server, and schedule the job there. How to do that depends on the operating system of the SAS server and the tools available. You might have the luxury of an existing organisation-wide scheduling system in place.

1980Zara
Calcite | Level 5

According to the new features 3.5 edition has this batch run which I assume it has the functionality...correct?

http://support.sas.com/software/products/sas-studio/faq/whatsnew.htm

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@1980Zara wrote:

According to the new features 3.5 edition has this batch run which I assume it has the functionality...correct?

http://support.sas.com/software/products/sas-studio/faq/whatsnew.htm

That just means you can run code in batch mode now. The problem of getting the browser to do that at a given time persists.

But this option might be a nice helper for programs supposed to be run in batch; you can test them manually before running them from the scheduler.

shayne
SAS Employee

@Kurt_Bremser's first reply is spot-on - the best way to schedule a SAS job to run is to use the scheduling capabilities of the machine where SAS actually runs (either locally for SAS Studio Single User or on the server where SAS is installed for SAS Studio Basic or Mid-Tier). Remember that SAS Studio is simply a new interface to the SAS system, and code submitted in SAS Studio still runs in a SAS process on the operating system in the same way that code submitted through the SAS windowing environment / Enhanced Editor runs. 

Be aware that the "batch mode" in SAS Studio 3.5 referenced in the link you posted has been renamed to background submit in 3.6 and later versions because the job doesn't really running in batch mode. The job actually runs in the background - meaning you can continue to work in SAS Studio while the job runs rather than having to wait for the job to complete.

See this SAS Global Forum paper for more information about the feature:

Submitting Code in the Background Using SAS® Studio

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation