BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sascoin
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Friends 

I am using SAS Studio and having problem in creating Library for ECST142. Files are attached. 

I have already gone through all the ECST142 related queries in this forum but still struggling. I have also completed step by step instruction by SAS manual but still in vain. 

I believe the issue must be in "format" of ECST142 and I have tried dozens of combination for FILEPATH like.....

I lost the whole day banging my head in this stuff.........no clue. Please someone can help? 

Thanks 

homefolder=\ECST142\data;
C:\Users\RAO\Desktop\ECST142;

C:\Users\RAO\Desktop\ECST142\data;

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNGDesktop\ECST142\data;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
HI:
You cannot use a local drive location with SAS OnDemand for Academics. Please create an ECST142 folder under your main Files (Home) location. Then upload all the files from your D drive location to the corresponding locations up on the OnDemand server. If you used SAS OnDemand for Programming 1, I can assure you that a D drive location would NOT work on the OnDemand server.
Once you have an ECST142 folder on the server, with a data subfolder, then your %LET statement would be something like THIS:
%LET homefolder=/home/<yourUserID>/ECST142/data;

You can verify this by right clicking on the data subfolder up on the server (NOT on your D drive) and then choosing Properties. There is a Location field in the Properties window that will show you the EXACT full server location path you need to use in the %LET statement.
BTW, I believe that you will need to have setup.sas UNDER the ECST142 folder - actually, you should go back and follow the exact setup directions for the SAS OnDemand for Academics server. i am worried that you may have picked another set of instructions to follow.
Cynthia

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
ballardw
Super User

SAS for some reason does not see that folder.

Reasons in order of frequency of people asking similar questions:

Spelling: one or more components of the path in the Homefolder macro variable are misspelled.

One or more components of the path specified do not exist. (variation on spelling in effect)

The installation you are using does not see that location because of operating system limits such as you are connecting to a server that cannot see your local hard drive or using a system such as SAS University edition which runs in a virtual machine, using Linux path syntax, and has a different mount point such as :/folders/myfolders/ for the start of the path if set up correctly.

You may also find that you desktop is actually on a D:\users\ path depending on installation.

BTW, desktops are lousy places to put data files. Better to learn to use a file manager like Windows Explorer and create and manage your own storage locations. For one thing you can create shorter paths than : users\name\desktop\whatever

sascoin
Calcite | Level 5

Hi ballardw

Thanks for your reply and response, but I am sorry that doesnt helped me. I have also used 😧 drive. Maybe this ECST142 thing is far above my IQ. I completed SAS programming Essential without any issue but this thing really stuck. Maybe a video can help. 

Thanks again 

ballardw
Super User

Have you ever used Windows Explorer to find files on your hard drive?

Time to learn.

Show a screen capture of Windows Explorer where it show that folder. NOT the desktop, from Windows Explorer.

Then we may have some additional comments.

sascoin
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your help. Are you refering to this attached pics.? 5.PNG6.PNG

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your screenshot suggests your data is stored on your D drive, not C. Try this home folder:

%let homefolder = D:\SAS STUDIO\ECST142\data;
sascoin
Calcite | Level 5

What am I doing wrong ? must be some childish mistake ............need help to figure out . Thanks 

r1.PNGr2.PNG

SASKiwi
PROC Star

You need to show us the SAS log not the code. You missed the data folder on the end. If you don't trust your typing, copy and paste from what I posted.

sascoin
Calcite | Level 5

Sir, here is the log with thanks 

log.PNG

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Look at your Server Files and Folders pane. It is telling you that your SAS code is running on a remote SAS server called odaws04-usw2 - not on your PC. The remote SAS server knows nothing about your PC hard drives. To get the program working you are going to have to copy your data onto your remote SAS server. Do you have local SAS help to call on? It would be a lot easier than us trying to guess how your SAS is configured.

sascoin
Calcite | Level 5

Not sure what is the issue then.....as  I used the same server for EPG1V2 and it went smooth without an inch of problem. anyway thanks for your help.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Look for the folder on the SAS server using the SAS/Studio interface.  When you find it ask for the properties of the folder and copy the path it has on the server into your code.

If you cannot find it and you are trying to follow instructions from a course then make sure you do all of the setup steps before beginning the first lesson.

ballardw
Super User

@sascoin wrote:

Not sure what is the issue then.....as  I used the same server for EPG1V2 and it went smooth without an inch of problem. anyway thanks for your help.

A secondary issue beside the location of the folder could be folder properties. See the box in the picture with the file details marked "read only"? That

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
HI:
You cannot use a local drive location with SAS OnDemand for Academics. Please create an ECST142 folder under your main Files (Home) location. Then upload all the files from your D drive location to the corresponding locations up on the OnDemand server. If you used SAS OnDemand for Programming 1, I can assure you that a D drive location would NOT work on the OnDemand server.
Once you have an ECST142 folder on the server, with a data subfolder, then your %LET statement would be something like THIS:
%LET homefolder=/home/<yourUserID>/ECST142/data;

You can verify this by right clicking on the data subfolder up on the server (NOT on your D drive) and then choosing Properties. There is a Location field in the Properties window that will show you the EXACT full server location path you need to use in the %LET statement.
BTW, I believe that you will need to have setup.sas UNDER the ECST142 folder - actually, you should go back and follow the exact setup directions for the SAS OnDemand for Academics server. i am worried that you may have picked another set of instructions to follow.
Cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation