BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
aabbccwyt
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi. How can I print first 50 rows of a worksheet in an excel sheet in SAS Studio? And for the data selected from the worksheet, how to print the Date as mm/dd/yy, and Gross with dollar signs and commas. I'm using the University Edition. Thank you so much.

12 REPLIES 12
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Import Excel data into a SAS dataset and use obs=50 as a dataset option when using proc print to print the dataset.

Assign proper formats to the variables in question. The documentation of formats is found here.

Reeza
Super User
1. First import the data, PROC IMPORT or LIBNAME
2. PROC PRINT with the OBS= option.
3. FORMAT statements to control display.

proc print data=sashelp.class (obs=10);
format weight 8.1;
format age dollar12.;
run;
aabbccwyt
Obsidian | Level 7

Here is what I have:

proc print data=work.Movie_2019 (obs=15);
     format MMDDYY10. ;
     format DOLLARw.d ;
     format COMMAw.d;
run;

It gives the error message:

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, _ALL_, _CHARACTER_, _CHAR_, _NUMERIC_.
ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

The requirements are to have the Date printing as mmddyy, so I use the format MMDD10.; Gross with dollar signs and commas, so I use the formats DOLLARw.d and COMMAw.d
aabbccwyt
Obsidian | Level 7

Is this correct?

proc print data=work.Movie_2019 (obs=50);
        format ReleaseData MMDDYY10.;
run;

Or should there be space or _ between Release and Data

Reeza
Super User
Do you have two variables or one?
You need to list each variable separated by a space if you want multiple variables to have one format.
aabbccwyt
Obsidian | Level 7

I have only one variable, however, the title of the variable in the excel sheet is "Release Date". I'm struggling with the format. Should it be Release Data, Release_Data or ReleaseData? Or should I do something else? Thank you.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@aabbccwyt wrote:

I have only one variable, however, the title of the variable in the excel sheet is "Release Date". I'm struggling with the format. Should it be Release Data, Release_Data or ReleaseData? Or should I do something else? Thank you.

Then you need to use a so-called "name literal", which allows to use almost any crap as a variable name:

format "Release Date"n mmddyy10.;
aabbccwyt
Obsidian | Level 7

I think I have everything right, however, the format is still wrong. Can you please check my code to see if there is anything wrong? Thank you.

proc import datafile="/home/Movies_Database_2018.xlsx"
dbms=xlsx out=Movies_2018 replace;
run;

proc print data=Movies_2018 (obs=50);
format Gross dollar2.;
format Gross comma10.;
format "Release Data"n mmddyy10.;
run;

The data is just fine, just the format is not correct at all. No error, just a warning says " Variable 'Release Data'n not found in data set MOVIES_2018. 

Reeza
Super User

Don't guess your names and variable types, check it explicitly. Especially from Excel files because then SAS guesses at types, whereas with a text file you can control the type. 

Run a proc contents on your data set that you imported and it will list the variable names and labels. 

proc contents data=movies_2018;
run;

If you're still having issues after this, please post the output from PROC CONTENTS to the forum. 

@aabbccwyt wrote:

I think I have everything right, however, the format is still wrong. Can you please check my code to see if there is anything wrong? Thank you.

proc import datafile="/home/Movies_Database_2018.xlsx"
dbms=xlsx out=Movies_2018 replace;
run;

proc print data=Movies_2018 (obs=50);
format Gross dollar2.;
format Gross comma10.;
format "Release Data"n mmddyy10.;
run;

The data is just fine, just the format is not correct at all. No error, just a warning says " Variable 'Release Data'n not found in data set MOVIES_2018. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why did you reference a variable that doesn't exist?  Could be just a typo. I doubt that the name is 'Release Data'n for a value that has a date in it.

Make sure not to use the LABEL of the variable instead of the NAME of the variable.  The setting of the VALIDVARNAME option will determine whether SAS will create a variable named 'Release Date'n or Release_Date, but in either case the label will reflect the column header in the Excel file.

Also why are you using two different FORMAT statements for the variable GROSS?  Which way would you like it to display the values?  With or without DOLLAR signs?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation