BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SR_FR
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi to all

With SAS Studio, it seems that some options are setup by some invisible options statement :

1- before the program you submit

2- and after the program you submit

This is the list of those options : DATE, LOCALE, DTRESET, FIRSTOBS, FMTERR, NOTES, NUMBER, OBS, SOURCE, STIMER SYNTAXCHECK, TIMEZONE, VALIDMEMNAME, VALIDVARNAME

To see that there is an issue here, run this program:

proc options value ;
run;

and you'll see that, for the global options I list here, the "How option value set:" is not "shipped default" as with foundation but is "options statement".

Run now this program:

options nodate ;

proc options value option=date;
run;

go to the log and you'll see that the value of the DATE option is NODATE.

Run now only the options procedure and you'll see that the value of this options is back to DATE.

It could be very useful to have the list of the options that are set before you submit your program and the list of the options that are set after the program you submit.

the log helps since you can read before and after the program you submit:

OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;

but, for the other options?

Are there all re-set before and after your program ?

The reason of my question: I modify my autoexec file with one of the options I list here and spent hours to understand why the option was not set up at the value I wanted.

Is there any way to choose the value of those options just like for the VALIDVARNAME option modified with the preferences menu of SAS Studio ?

best regards

Sébastien

5 REPLIES 5
shayne
SAS Employee

What edition and version of SAS Studio are you running, and what operating system (OS) is hosting SAS Studio? You can find this from within SAS Studio by clicking on the ? icon in the upper right corner and selecting "About SAS Studio". The Release field will tell you the version / edition, and the SAS Platform field will tell you the OS.

Editions of SAS Studio that use a workspace server (Basic and MidTier) process the autoexec file before executing application initialization code, and the application initialization code for SAS Studio sets all of the options that you mention in your post. So any settings you specify in your autoexec file will be overwritten by the application initialization code. There are a few ways around this but they differ by edition / version of SAS Studio. 

For example, in SAS Studio Basic edition, these options are set on the spawner and they can be modified by recreating the service / process with the desired options. If you are using SAS Studio Basic, you can use these instructions as a template for how to change the options on the spawner: SAS Studio Administrator's Guide > SAS Studio Basic > Enabling the X Commands. Note that this change will affect all users.

SAS Studio MidTier edition works a bit differently - let me know if you are using MidTier and I'll post different instructions (or if you are using SAS Studio Single User...). 

SR_FR
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi

Thanks for your answer.

I'm having a SAS Studio 3.7 single user running on Windows 10.

BTW, when you run my program with the option statement and the PROC OPTIONS, you'll see "missing lines" in the log (2 to 71 and 79 to 90) is there a way to see those lines ? 😉

Best regards

Sébastien

shayne
SAS Employee

Hi Sébastien, 

Darn, I was hoping you were NOT using SAS Studio Single User because it's more complicated to change the launch parameters due to the architecture of that application. I'll think about this and do some testing over the next few days and let you know when I have more information to share with you. 

I'll also check into your other question regarding the missing lines in the log.

Thanks,

Shayne

SR_FR
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi

About the missing lines in the LOG, one of my former students (who now works for SAS France - a public thanks to Andrei) gave me the solution:

Go to the More applications and options button -> Preferences -> General -> Show generated code in SAS log.

and you'll see the missing lines 😉

best regards

Sébastien

kakarla_p6
Calcite | Level 5

hi,

i am getting the following message when i tried to set the path to the data folder

can you please help me in fixing the problem?

OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
71 /***********************************************/
72 /* In the line of code below, replace FILEPATH */
73 /* with the path to your EPG194/data folder */
74 /***********************************************/
76 %let path= ~/EPG194/data;
78 /**********************************************/
79 /* DO NOT EDIT THE CODE BELOW */
80 /**********************************************/
82 libname PG1 "&path";
NOTE: Library PG1 does not exist.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation