BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Matim
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

In my SAS programming course that I'm taking online, I'm on lesson 3 and I have learned how to change the number of extreme values in an observation by using the nextrval option. I referred to it in an area of the SAS documentation called "Identifying Extreme Observations and Extreme Values". I applied this statement to my programming code and after running the program, the number of extreme observations did not change, but then in the solution the option was nextrobs. Why was this used instead of nextrval and are there different options that I may use to change the number of extreme observations starting with next? I'm confused here, so any clarity will be appreciated in advance.

Thank You

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

I think you may want to share the entire code that you have questions about. Better might be to copy the code and messages from the log and paste all of that into a code box opened on the forum with the </> icon to preserve readability and any diagnostics that may appear.

Matim
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes this is helpful. Thank You.

Reeza
Super User

Assuming you're referring tot his, the key difference appears to be observations versus values

If you have duplicate values that's when the results may differ. 

This part of the example illustrates the difference:

Output 4.3.2 shows that the values 78 and 80 occurred twice for Diastolic and the maximum of Diastolic is 110. Note that Output 4.3.1 displays the value of 80 twice for Diastolic because there are two observations with that value. In Output 4.3.2, the value 80 is only displayed once.

Does that help?

@Matim wrote:

Hello,

In my SAS programming course that I'm taking online, I'm on lesson 3 and I have learned how to change the number of extreme values in an observation by using the nextrval option. I referred to it in an area of the SAS documentation called "Identifying Extreme Observations and Extreme Values". I applied this statement to my programming code and after running the program, the number of extreme observations did not change, but then in the solution the option was nextrobs. Why was this used instead of nextrval and are there different options that I may use to change the number of extreme observations starting with next? I'm confused here, so any clarity will be appreciated in advance.

Thank You

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation