BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AJ_9
Calcite | Level 5

Hi! I am trying to create a data set from an excel file. I created the excel file to match one being used in a free online pre-recorded SAS course. The  course is using an older version of SAS - SAS 3.4 and I have 3.8, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

AJ_9_1-1594675435988.png

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

Read that error carefully. Is that where you created the Excel file?

It is a best practice to include a complete path when using external references. Otherwise SAS will assume the file is likely in the location SAS executes from. If you are using the SAS University edition you are restricted to locations that the virtual machine sees and if set up with defaults properly means that the paths start with /folders/myfolders/<your specific folders and file names follow here>

AJ_9
Calcite | Level 5

Honestly, I don't understand the error message. I uploaded the excel file from my desktop not knowing if I needed to or could create the file in SAS or if SAS would accept the upload. I can download the excel file from SAS so I assume that means its there. My experience using SAS in this detail is below beginner level. 

ketpt42
Quartz | Level 8

I can barely read the screenshot. Can we see the full import code you're running? Insert it in the reply using the Insert SAS Code button in the edit toolbar.

From what I can read, I think you need to change the datafile= line to:

PROC IMPORT datafile="/folders/myfolders/myprj1/emps_sales.xlsx"
AJ_9
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you. That helped fix the problem. The course skipped how to assign / define a physical location and I was able find a help doc that covered that step. Thank you again for your help!

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
In SAS Studio, if you can find the file in the Server Files and Folders pane, you can ALWAYS get the correct path by doing a right-click on the file name and choosing Properties. The Location field in the Properties window will ALWAYS show you the correct path to use for a file like this.
Cynthia
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Please do not post screenshots of logs, especially such hard-to-read ones. Unless it is funny for you to annoy us.

Copy/paste the log text into a window opened with this button:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-07 um 08.32.59.jpg

From what my old eyes can make out, it seems you did not use an absolute path to your file. Pathnames to the shared folder in SAS University Edition MUST start with

/folders/myfolders

if you set it up correctly.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation