BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gerry888
Calcite | Level 5

HI there, 

I am trying to do a logistic regression for data i have scraped from a twitter advanced search, but it comes up with error everytime i run it, i believe this is due to the the fact that my all my value types come up as Char (character) and it needs to be Num (numbers) but my variables are 

Variables in Creation Order# Variable Type Len Format Informat12345678

Field1Char87$87.$87.
TwitterHandleChar77$77.$77.
UsernameChar41$41.$41.
DateofTweetChar104$104.$104.
InResponseToChar10$10.$10.
TweetChar12$12.$12.
CommentsChar1$1.$1.
RetweetsChar1$1.$1.

how should i go about changing this or am i not using an appropriate statistical technique for this type of data 

5 REPLIES 5
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

What is your logistic regression model for this data?

PG
gerry888
Calcite | Level 5

What do you mean by that. 

I'll say it about the volume of tweets produced by the user, level of traction (replies, retweets and comments) and time produced. 

Also is logistic regression the current method of statistical technique to use for what I need?

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Logistic regression is a powerful statistical estimation technique that is not appropriate for your goal. Look it up.

You seem to want to calculate summary statistics such as totals and means. First, you will need to translate those character fields into dates and numbers . The function to do that with SAS is INPUT. Then you should formulate your needs in mathematical terms, as precicely as possible. We can help you from there, if needed.

PG
gerry888
Calcite | Level 5

how would i go about doing that, could you give me a step by step instructions

miriam93
Fluorite | Level 6

Logistic regression is definitely not what you need. It models the likelihood of an outcome of a dichotomous variable (yes/no) based on a bunch of predictor variables. So, for instance, the odds of a tweet being longer than 20 characters based on time of posting, language used etc.

As already pointed out by PGStats, you need to specifiy what it is that you want to do with your data. Then we might be able to help out.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation