BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
carl00
Calcite | Level 5

I understand that SAS University is now defunct and replaced with SAS onDemand for Academics (honestly, I don't even know the difference between the two, I just know that both run SAS Studio).

I really enjoy the SAS Studio interface, but so far I've only been running it on a browser.

I will be working in this VPN protected environment that is devoid of wifi (in order to protect the data) and I am wondering if it's a reasonable request for the tech people to "install SAS studio" onto the virtual desktop for me. The virtual desktop already has SAS on it, but I prefer SAS studio.

I've read online that SAS studio can be worked on offline, but I have yet to find detailed and updated instructions on how to do so.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

SAS on Demand for Academics is web-based where you connect to a remote session to execute SAS.

So is not available offline.

SAS studio is just an interface to submit code to SAS server somewhere.

IF you have a SAS license and install SAS locally then that server can be the machine running SAS Studio as well. Without knowing all the details of your "virtual desktop" and installation it is hard to say exactly what you need. You may want to open a ticket with SAS Tech Support to help walk you through how to get your local SAS Studio to connect to your local SAS install. I would look in the SAS folders in that virtual desktop and look for the Studio executable and see if starting it connects SAS.

If you have a requirement to "protect data" then it sounds like you are doing work, not just training/learning which is the intent of SAS on Demand.

Reeza
Super User

@carl00 wrote:

I will be working in this VPN protected environment that is devoid of wifi (in order to protect the data) and I am wondering if it's a reasonable request for the tech people to "install SAS studio" onto the virtual desktop for me. The virtual desktop already has SAS on it, but I prefer SAS studio.

AFAIK SAS Studio is included with SAS installations at the moment and if you can use SAS you can have a local installation of SAS Studio installed as well. It will work only on your computer. I did this, but it was a long time ago (2017/18 maybe). 

So yes, it's reasonable to request SAS Studio also be installed on your machine 🙂

tom_grant
SAS Super FREQ
I've seen, in some cases, where SAS Studio is actually installed but people click on SAS 9.4 (English) from the Start Menu or an icon on the desktop which opens the classic Windowing interface.
If you can select Start (lower left windows icon)-> SAS & then expand the SAS folder, scroll down the installed SAS applications, SAS Studio is often listed.
rabindrakumar_1
Fluorite | Level 6

Are you referring SAS Studio from SAS Viya, if yes, then you can use IDE for example VS Code to run the SAS Codes from locally installed IDE with minimal setup.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation