BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
charlo77
Calcite | Level 5

Hello guys,

I am new to SAS. I am trying to connect SAS university edition to SQL SERVER using windows authentication mode. Both are installed in my local machine. I followed the instructions listed here

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/Connect-to-SQL-Server-Oracle-Database-by-SAS-Universi...

but keep having the error below. Please can you help?

ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver

specified
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.
5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

SAS UE is not designed to connect to a server. I don't believe that's an acceptable use either. 

I'm assuming by SAS UE you're referring to a version you downloaded from this website or AWS, not a version provided by your University. 

If you're affiliated with a University you can get a full version either free of charge or for a small nominal cost. 

@charlo77 wrote:

Hello guys,

I am new to SAS. I am trying to connect SAS university edition to SQL SERVER using windows authentication mode. Both are installed in my local machine. I followed the instructions listed here

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/Connect-to-SQL-Server-Oracle-Database-by-SAS-Universi...

but keep having the error below. Please can you help?

ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver

specified
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Please post your LIBNAME statement.

charlo77
Calcite | Level 5

LIBNAME z PCFILES SERVER='192.168.56.1' DSN=AdventureWorks2012 USER=XXXX
PASSWORD=xxx SCHEMA=dbo readbuff=10000 access=readonly;

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Check in the ODBC Administrator that you have an SQL Server ODBC driver installed and you have used that to create a Data Source Name called AdventureWorks2012.

I am pretty sure you would have to run the SAS PC File Server on the same PC from where you are running SAS UE and also configuring the data source in the ODBC Administrator.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I believe that PC File Server has to be installed inside the University Edition Virtual Machine, where sas.exe is located. Since the Virtual Machine is locked down, you can't install PC File Server on the Virtual Machine.

We don't expect that students will need to use PC File Server for learning purposes.

Cynthia

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation