BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Monaghan
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello!  I am trying to perform a one way ANOVA comparison of merged data.  I have been able to merge the data, but I am having trouble with combining some variable data.  I am wanting to look at the variable of age (RIDAGEYR) with the variable of days of physical activity per week (PAQ670) .  For my project, I would like to group the days into 3 categories (1-2 days, 3-5 days, 6-7 days) and run a ANOVA test to get the mean age for each of the three categories.  I have been able to run the ANOVA, but not able to separate the wanted categories.  Here is my code and output--

data work. agephysicalhealth;
merge SASFILE.DEMO_H SASFILE.PAQ_H;
by SEQN;
run;

proc anova data=WORK.AGEPHYSICALHEALTH;
class PAQ670;
model RIDAGEYR = PAQ670;
means PAQ670 / scheffe;
title;
run;

The output lists the *class PAQ670 and values 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 99*

I have not figured out how to separate these - not sure if I should sort the data prior to running the procedure or sort after.  I would like to use the same code for all of my procedures because I am running multiple analysis on the variable of days of physical activity.

Thank you for any help!!

Carrie

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

Here's an example of how you can create a format and apply it. You can run the code and examine the output, it should work in any version of SAS. 

/*this is an example of creating a custom format and then applying it to a data set*/

*create the format;
proc format;
value age_group
low - 13 = 'Pre-Teen'
13 - 15 = 'Teen'
16 - high = 'Adult';
run;

title 'Example of an applied format';
proc print data=sashelp.class;
format age age_group.; *applies the format;
run;

data class;
set sashelp.class;
age_category = put(age, age_group.); *creates a character variable with the age category;
label age_category = 'Age Category'; *adds a nice label for the printed output;
run;

title 'Example of creating a new variable with the format';
proc print data=class label;
run;

*show format used directly;

proc freq data=sashelp.class;
table age / out= formatted_age;
format age age_group.;
run;

For your specific group your format would look like:

proc format;
value days_category
1-2 = "1 to 2 days"
3-5 = "3 to 5 days"
6-7 = "6 to 7 days"
99 = "Missing";
run;

Then apply it in your code:

class PAQ670;
format paq670 days_category.;

model RIDAGEYR = PAQ670;
means PAQ670 / scheffe;

title;
run;

@Monaghan wrote:

Hello!  I am trying to perform a one way ANOVA comparison of merged data.  I have been able to merge the data, but I am having trouble with combining some variable data.  I am wanting to look at the variable of age (RIDAGEYR) with the variable of days of physical activity per week (PAQ670) .  For my project, I would like to group the days into 3 categories (1-2 days, 3-5 days, 6-7 days) and run a ANOVA test to get the mean age for each of the three categories.  I have been able to run the ANOVA, but not able to separate the wanted categories.  Here is my code and output--

data work. agephysicalhealth;
merge SASFILE.DEMO_H SASFILE.PAQ_H;
by SEQN;
run;

class PAQ670;
model RIDAGEYR = PAQ670;
means PAQ670 / scheffe;
title;
run;

The output lists the *class PAQ670 and values 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 99*

I have not figured out how to separate these - not sure if I should sort the data prior to running the procedure or sort after.  I would like to use the same code for all of my procedures because I am running multiple analysis on the variable of days of physical activity.

Thank you for any help!!

Carrie

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation