BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Daniel_MM
Calcite | Level 5

I have a data set that has the form:

a=N x M data set (N>M)

and

b=NxP data set 

which forms an equation 

aX=b, 

to solve this I am using the IML echelon function, but unfortunately my data does not seem to be perfect (possible rounding errors) as the echelon over solves my matrix [a|b] and row reduces too far, is there a possible way to identify what rows to pick so that I could do an inversion solve or to truncate the variables to ensure rounding errors are not an issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Daniel_MM
Calcite | Level 5

I have verified that the equations have a unique solution, but unfortunately some variables only have a few entries in the entire system so I cant just take a random set of rows, I am attempting to use a Moore-Penrose generalised inverse to solve the system which seems to be working, thanks for the swift reply though, great to see the community so active.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ksharp
Super User

Why not post it at IML forum? @Rick_SAS might give you a hand .

Ksharp
Super User
Could post a real example ,include the data you have and the answer you want to see ?
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If N > M  (more rows than columns), then the system is almost surely overdetermined and you need to compute a least squares solution.

There are many ways to solve least squares systems. A few are discussed here:
On solving rank-deficient systems of equations in SAS - The DO Loop

Daniel_MM
Calcite | Level 5

I have verified that the equations have a unique solution, but unfortunately some variables only have a few entries in the entire system so I cant just take a random set of rows, I am attempting to use a Moore-Penrose generalised inverse to solve the system which seems to be working, thanks for the swift reply though, great to see the community so active.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

PS: If your data matrix really does have a unique solution to Ax=b, then you can use ANY set of M rows to find x.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation