BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Granny
Calcite | Level 5
How to delete blank observations in data table without deleting entire row? I got the data from an excel file which has a different number of observations in each column. So, how do I delete the blank observations without deleting the data in the same row but different column?

For a visual..

A B C

48 24 23
64 50 27
53 18 28
53 48 59
38 18

If A= ‘ ‘ Then Delete;

is deleting the last two observation for B and the last observation for C

I need to just delete the blank observations
6 REPLIES 6
Granny
Calcite | Level 5
Edit: I meant if I do

If C=‘ ‘ then Delete;

The last 2 observations for A and last observation for B are getting deleted
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Granny wrote:
How to delete blank observations in data table without deleting entire row? I got the data from an excel file which has a different number of observations in each column. So, how do I delete the blank observations without deleting the data in the same row but different column?

For a visual..

A B C

48 24 23
64 50 27
53 18 28
53 48 59
38 18

If A= ‘ ‘ Then Delete;

In your example, you cannot delete the blank value of C unless you want to delete the entire row. That's how SAS works.

--
Paige Miller
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Granny,

A "long" data structure might be more suitable for your data:

data have;
input A B C;
cards;
48 24 23
64 50 27
53 18 28
53 48 59
38 18 .
49 .  .
;

proc transpose data=have out=trans;
run;

proc transpose data=trans
               out=want(rename=(_name_=col col1=value) where=(value>.));
by _name_;
run;

proc print data=want;
run;

Then you have 6 observations for A, 5 for B and 4 for C, as desired, no missing values and a data structure that is useful for many purposes.

@Granny wrote:

If A= ‘ ‘ Then Delete;

You know that a blank (' ') represents a missing character value, whereas standard missing numeric values are represented by a period (.)?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Did you really mean to keep missing value between .A and .Z by using VALUE > . in where clause instead of NOT MISSING(VALUE) or VALUE > .Z?

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@Tom wrote:

Did you really mean to keep missing value between .A and .Z by using VALUE > . in where clause instead of NOT MISSING(VALUE) or VALUE > .Z?

Thanks, but don't worry, @Tom. 🙂 In my professional programs I would of course use one of these bulletproof criteria and I had considered it here as well. But in a response to a "New User" who appears to be struggling with the very basics of SAS I decided to keep the code as simple as possible.

Also, it is not even clear that the OP would really want to delete observations containing a special missing value (which might constitute a valuable piece of information). My understanding was that the missing data in question just indicated the end of a series of values. After all, according to the initial post the data came "from an excel file which has a different number of observations in each column."

ballardw
Super User

@Granny wrote:

For a visual..

A B C

48 24 23
64 50 27
53 18 28
53 48 59
38 18

If A= ‘ ‘ Then Delete;

Please be aware that the message windows on this forum will seriously reformat text with "blanks". To maintain any appearance with blanks then you should open a code box using the forum's {I} icon and paste there. From your text I have to assume that your actually have some data that looks more like:

A  B  C
48 24 23
64 50 27
53 18 28
53 48 59
   38 18

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation