BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sk2706
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, 

I am new to SAS. I am using SAS Studio University Edition through AWS. I am trying to read a sas7bdat file but not able to do so. After uploading the data from my local machine in the SAS Studio, I run the following program to access it:

proc print data = "/folders/myfolders/TargetFile.sas7bdat";

run;

However, I get the following NOTE:

NOTE: No variables in data set /folders/myfolders/TargetFile.sas7bdat.

Also, I cannot open it by double clicking the file. I get similar error. Looking forward for some help! 

Thanks,

Santanu

10 REPLIES 10
ballardw
Super User

How did you upload the data? Do you know which version of SAS made the data set? There are a few cross-platform issues that may make the set unreadable by your install.

sk2706
Calcite | Level 5

Hi ballardw,

I uploaded the data using the upload functionality of SAS studio in the AWS console. I do not know the version of the SAS in which the data file was prepared but I am using 9.4. I wonder if such basic functionality issues may arise due to cross-platform differences!

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi

It is possible to create a SAS data set with 0 obersvations and 0 variables, see code below. Run Proc CONTENTS on the data set and have a look at the output. As a general advice, I would avoid the use of physical names for a SAS data set, but rather use a LIBNAME statement.

data new;
stop; run; proc contents data=new; run; proc print data=new; run;

Bruno

sk2706
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Bruno,

I have a data file with a X columns and Y rows. But when I read the contents of the data after uploading it in SAS, the data is not read. It shows 0 variables and 0 indexes, 0 observations. However, I want the data to be read as Y observations, X variables.

Thanks,

Santanu

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi Santanu

It would help if you could post the output of the Proc CONTENTS from the original SAS data set, if possible, and the one you uploaded to be used in SAS Studio.

Bruno

sk2706
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Bruno,

I am afraid I will not be able to post the original output of the Proc CONTENTS. It is a sas7bdat file (TargetFile.sas7bdat). It has Y Observations and X variables. I am uploading this file in the SAS Studio and then when I am reading it, it says 0 observations, 0 indexes, 0 variables, etc. Also, when I am double clicking the file, it shows me the follwoing error:

File _TEMP5.TARGETFILE.DATA does not exist

Hope this provides some more clarity to the problem.

Thanks,

Santanu

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi Santanu

Can you ask the creator of the SAS data set to send you the Proc CONTENTS output?

Was the SAS dataset created by SAS or some other tool?

Is it possible to attach the SAS dataset to this post?

Bruno

sk2706
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Bruno,

I will ask the creator to send the Proc CONTENTS output. However, I dont think I can share the data set as it is a classified one. The data set was created using SAS.

Thanks,

Santanu

sk2706
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Bruno,

I did not get the go ahead of the owner of the SAS file to put the output of the Proc CONTENTS in a forum. But I came to know that the file was created from a database using a Linux system. When I am trying to open the file in SAS 9.4 AWS, it does not open, but when I am opening the file in any PC with SAS installed in it could be opened. So I guess the problem is with the SAS AWS application. Though I have no clue what it can be and how to overcome it.

Thanks,

Santanu

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi Santanu

Since you have access to SAS, try uploading some other data and see how this works. I also attached a SAS data set create with SAS 9.4 on a Linux machine for testing.

I suggested you contact SAS technical support for this problem.

Bruno

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation