BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pwhitle10
Fluorite | Level 6

NEW -->SAS PROGRAM (F4), the "CODE EDITOR" doesn't display (see screenshot attached) . Code editor also does not come up on on existing programs (where code has already been written and saved).

To date, from a cold boot (computer turned off and on) we've cleared cache, flushed DNS, switched browsers, contacted SAS Support , cleared saved tabs in SAS Studio with no luck.

I have not coded in SAS Studio since last summer.

On Monday, SAS already plans to escalate to another level of support --I would like to work this weekend if someone can help. 

Thank you, Patricia 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BrianGaines
SAS Employee

@pwhitle10,

That's great to hear!  You are very welcome and I am glad to hear that my idea resolved your issue.  

I'm not really sure how it happened.  I am not aware of a keyboard shortcut that would have accidentally done it.  If you are using a laptop, then maybe it happened when the touch pad was unknowingly being touched.  I typically use a mouse with my laptop and I've had weird things happen if my other hand accidentally dangles down and touches the touch pad while I'm also using the mouse.  

You can click on any of the tabs (Code, Log, Results) in the work area and then drag them around to rearrange them.  As soon as you do this, a green check mark or red x will appear near your mouse pointer to indicate if you are currently hovering above a valid location for the tab to be dragged too.  

So in your updated screenshot, you just need to click on CODE and then drag that over to where the LOG and RESULTS tabs are, and they will once again be grouped together.  

I'm also not sure of what a better search term would have been.  I also would have searched for either "code editor does not display sas studio" or "code editor disappeared sas studio" but I would guess (and hope) that this is an uncommon issue, so that is probably why it was unfortunately a little tricky to resolve.

Anyways, I'm glad the issue is solved now!  Please post on here again if you have any additional issues or questions.

Best,

-Brian

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BrianGaines
SAS Employee

Hi @pwhitle10,

This might not solve your issue but here is one idea as to what is going on.

In SAS Studio, within the work area you can rearrange the Code, Log, and Results tabs.  For example, you could split them so that the Log and Results are on the left side and the Code editor is by itself on the right side:

codeOnRight.png

There is an invisible vertical bar that separates the two sections, and when you hover your pointer over it, it enables you to resize how much of the work area is occupied by the code editor (highlighted by the red box in the previous screenshot).

It's possible for you to drag that all the way to the right, so that the code editor essentially disappears:

noCodeEditor.png

In this situation, the invisible vertical bar that you use to resize the code editor still exists on the far right portion of the browser window, so if you hover your mouse pointer over it, you can resize the code editor so that you can see it again:

noCodeEditorResizer.png

In your screenshot, you would need to hover just to the right of the vertical scroll bar within the log.  

Did that fix your problem?  It may be sort of a long shot but it's the only thing I can think of based on your screenshot.  

Best,

-Brian

pwhitle10
Fluorite | Level 6

Brian,

BRILLIANT! So happy! Thank you!!!!!

That was the issue - how did that happen? And, you see on the screenshot that when a program is opened, the Log/Results and CODE are in separate panes. How do I get them back together (not sure terminology is correct) so that they are alongside each other whenever a new SAS Program is created?

And, since Thursday, I searched for an answer online - what would have been the better search term - (i.e., why could I not find this somewhere? Is it an esotric issue or a clumsy user-error everyone else knew and I assumed I must have, too...)

Thank you, Brian. You saved the day! 

BrianGaines
SAS Employee

@pwhitle10,

That's great to hear!  You are very welcome and I am glad to hear that my idea resolved your issue.  

I'm not really sure how it happened.  I am not aware of a keyboard shortcut that would have accidentally done it.  If you are using a laptop, then maybe it happened when the touch pad was unknowingly being touched.  I typically use a mouse with my laptop and I've had weird things happen if my other hand accidentally dangles down and touches the touch pad while I'm also using the mouse.  

You can click on any of the tabs (Code, Log, Results) in the work area and then drag them around to rearrange them.  As soon as you do this, a green check mark or red x will appear near your mouse pointer to indicate if you are currently hovering above a valid location for the tab to be dragged too.  

So in your updated screenshot, you just need to click on CODE and then drag that over to where the LOG and RESULTS tabs are, and they will once again be grouped together.  

I'm also not sure of what a better search term would have been.  I also would have searched for either "code editor does not display sas studio" or "code editor disappeared sas studio" but I would guess (and hope) that this is an uncommon issue, so that is probably why it was unfortunately a little tricky to resolve.

Anyways, I'm glad the issue is solved now!  Please post on here again if you have any additional issues or questions.

Best,

-Brian

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 2 in conversation