BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mcgannmary
Calcite | Level 5

I am new to SAS and using the free e-learning program. I'm on the first step of creating a library and the code is correct: "libname pg1 "C:\Program Files\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\data";

I keep getting this message and the library is not created,

NOTE: Library PG1 does not exist. 74

I'm running SAS through Virtual Box. Might that have something to do with the inability to create the library? How can I create libraries using Virtual Box, if that is the problem

Thanks in advance for any help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Another possible problem is that when you download the zip file for the Programming 1 class, we tell University Edition students to put the main folder (and all the sub-folders) under their /myfolders location with a main folder name of EPG194.

So the correct LIBNAME statement, if you followed those instructions would be:

libname pg1 "/folders/myfolders/EPG194/data";

When I look at your code, I do not see the EPG194 folder in the path. One way to find the actual path in your SAS University Edition installation is to look under the My Folders location for the EPG194 folder, then look for the data folder under that location. Right click on the data folder and select Properties. You should see the University Edition path to your data folder in the Properties window.

If you do not have an EPG194 folder then you need to go back to the Course Overview instructions and follow them again.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
BrianGaines
SAS Employee

@mcgannmary,

Try to change the code to: 

libname pg1 '/folders/myfolders/data';

VirtualBox is unable to see your entire C drive, as it is connected only to C:\Program Files\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\, so instead you have to point it to the myfolders directory using /folders/myfolders/.

Did that fix the problem?

-Brian

mcgannmary
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your speedy reply!

I ran the code you provided. Here are the notes...

73 libname pg1 '/folders/myfolders/data";
75 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
76 ODS HTML CLOSE;
77 &GRAPHTERM; ;*';
NOTE: Library PG1 does not exist.
77 ! *";*/;RUN;QUIT;
78 QUIT;RUN;
79 ODS HTML5 (ID=WEB) CLOSE;
81 ODS RTF (ID=WEB) CLOSE;
82 ODS PDF (ID=WEB) CLOSE;
NOTE: ODS PDF(WEB) printed no output.
(This sometimes results from failing to place a RUN statement before the ODS PDF(WEB) CLOSE statement.)
83 FILENAME _GSFNAME;
NOTE: Fileref _GSFNAME has been deassigned.
84 DATA _NULL_;
85 RUN;

mcgannmary
Calcite | Level 5

Whoops...I see that a single quote and double quote were used, so I corrected that. I still get the same "does not exist" note.

jennifert
SAS Employee

Hi @mcgannmary.

That libname statement should be correct.  Can you verify that you have created your shared folder correctly? 

You can find information about creating a shared folder here:  

How do I create a shared folder in VirtualBox?

Hope that helps!

thanks,

Jennifer

Catch the SAS Global Forum keynotes, announcements, and tech content!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

Quanshuo
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Jennifer,

My folders create correctly, but still has this issue.

Thanks,

Quanshuo

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Another possible problem is that when you download the zip file for the Programming 1 class, we tell University Edition students to put the main folder (and all the sub-folders) under their /myfolders location with a main folder name of EPG194.

When I look at your code, I do not see the EPG194 folder in the path. One way to find the actual path in your SAS University Edition installation is to look under the My Folders location for the EPG194 folder, then look for the data folder under that location. Right click on the data folder and select Properties. You should see the University Edition path to your data folder in the Properties window.

If you do not have an EPG194 folder then you need to go back to the Course Overview instructions and follow them again.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

Quanshuo
Fluorite | Level 6
Hello Cynthia,

Brian's solution works.

Thank you,

Quanshuo
Quanshuo
Fluorite | Level 6

I have the same issue when use virtual machine

BrianGaines
SAS Employee

@Quanshuo and @mcgannmary,

When you access the SAS® University Edition: Information Center (http://localhost:10080), are there any notifications in the lower left corner?  

I just removed "myfolders" as a shared folder for the virtual machine.  After doing that, there is a notification in the Information Center that alerts me of this:

UEinfoCenter.png

Now, if I go to SAS Studio and run the libname statement code: 

libname pg1 '/folders/myfolders/data';

then I also get "NOTE: Library PG1 does not exist." in the log.  

Once I add myfolders as a shared folder for the virtual machine again, then the code works again.  So like @jennifert suggested, I would verify that the shared folder was created correctly.  

Please let us know if you are still having problems.

-Brian

Quanshuo
Fluorite | Level 6

1.JPGCapture.JPG

I do have the folder and with no notifications.

Thank you for your quick replies.

Quanshuo

ballardw
Super User

The virtual box runs in a Linux environment which is case sensitive.

Your code:

libname pg1 '/folders/myfolders/data";

Your picture appears to use "My Folders" , both capital letters and a space. So the spelling is incorrect.

I would suggest verifying that you create and use a /myfolders shared folder definition.

Quanshuo
Fluorite | Level 6
I would like to edit the folder's name but actually, I could build library, the problem is I could not find the lib when I restart.

But I will try that once I finish my HW.

Thank you again.
BrianGaines
SAS Employee

@Quanshuo,

Thanks for the info.  Libraries are not automatically re-created when SAS Studio initializes again unless there are libname statements in your Autoexec file.  

To view your autoexec file, click on the "More application options" icon in the upper-right corner:

optionsIcon.pngautoexecAccess.png

which opens the Autoexec file:

autoexec.png

Do you have any code in the autoexec file?

-Brian

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation