BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
brooks3
Calcite | Level 5

I'm trying to import a single SAS dataset from a ZIP archive (containing only one member). The SAS dataset is 400+MB and the ZIP archive is just shy of 102 MB. This might be my problem but I cannot find definitive information regarding the maximum upload file size in SAS on Demand.

My code is below, the SAS Log indicates I'm reading the ZIP member appropriately, at least in regard to the number of observations in the dataset. However, all of my attempts at extracting the dataset back to SAS have failed.  Any help with code is much appreciated.

%let homedir = /home/brooks.applegate/Data/ABCD;
%let member=rdata_R4v3.sas7bdat;
libname abcd "&homedir";

filename in ZIP "&homedir/Rdata2.zip" member="&member" recfm=n;
filename out "%sysfunc(pathname(work)).&member" recfm=n;

data _null_;
/* infile in(&member);
file out;
input;
put _infile_;
*/
rc=fcopy('in','out');
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brooks3
Calcite | Level 5

{jenburry} Thank you so much for the help, at least I know it is my code and not a file size restriction.

{Kurt} Seems the key was an uppercase letter in a file name – did not know that SAS on Demand was pointing to a UNIX machine (guess I should have figured – but didn’t)

{Chris} Your code works – after fixing the case problem in the filename – my attempt still did not, so I adapted yours.  Thank you all.

Brooks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jenburry
SAS Employee

Hi @brooks3 ,

The maximum upload size for SAS OnDemand for Academics SAS Studio is 1 GB, the following link provides this information in the SAS® OnDemand for Academics FAQ SAS Studio Questions

There are also other things that can cause issues with upload in SAS OnDemand for Academics SAS Studio.  If you are trying to use Safari as a web browser to upload, others have had issues with this as well, and I would recommend trying another browser if that's the case.  Additionally, the following link to the FAQ provides additional links with information about Which Internet browsers can I use with SAS® OnDemand for Academics

If you are still having an issue, I would recommend taking a look at the following directions SAS OnDemand for Academics Uploading and Accessing Local Data to make sure that you are uploading in the correct way.  You can also take a look at this video as well as it shows the detailed steps: Getting started with SAS® OnDemand for Academics - SAS Support Communities

Kurt_Bremser
Super User
%let member=rdata_R4v3.sas7bdat;

NEVER do this. The physical filenames of SAS datasets must be all lowercase, especially on UNIX systems.

Do this instead:

%let member=rdata_r4v3.sas7bdat;
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Using FILENAME ZIP to unzip and read data files in SAS
By Chris Hemedinger on The SAS Dummy May 11, 2015
https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2015/05/11/using-filename-zip-to-unzip-and-read-data-files-in...

See also:
https://blogs.sas.com/content/?s=zip+filename

BR,
Koen

brooks3
Calcite | Level 5

{jenburry} Thank you so much for the help, at least I know it is my code and not a file size restriction.

{Kurt} Seems the key was an uppercase letter in a file name – did not know that SAS on Demand was pointing to a UNIX machine (guess I should have figured – but didn’t)

{Chris} Your code works – after fixing the case problem in the filename – my attempt still did not, so I adapted yours.  Thank you all.

Brooks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation