BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fpb1
Obsidian | Level 7

I am teaching a university course that just got moved to remote instruction with SAS Studio with little notice. I uploaded my programs and data to the SAS Studio environment successfully, but I am unable to access the data via a libname statement. 

It seems like all I need to do is this:

libname test "/home/u99999999/mydata";

where the contents of the quotes matches the location in the folder properties, but the library does not exist..

3 REPLIES 3
fpb1
Obsidian | Level 7

I just discovered it is because in SAS Studio mydata is not the same as Mydata, unlike in 9.4 which is all I used before today. How many other microdifferences are there between the versions?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@fpb1 wrote:

I just discovered it is because in SAS Studio mydata is not the same as Mydata, unlike in 9.4 which is all I used before today. How many other microdifferences are there between the versions?

That difference has nothing to do with SAS/Studio.  I suspect that previously you were accessing files on a Windows file system.  Windows does not allow two filenames to exist that differ only in the case of one or more of the letters so it will let you use any case to reference the file. But on a Unix file system that is not true.  If the name is different then it is a different file.

The real trouble you might have with transferred files is if you had manually renamed the file that SAS uses to store a SAS dataset to include uppercase letters.  On Windows that will not matter.  But on Unix the filename and extension part of the filename must only use lowercase letters or else SAS cannot see the file.  Again because the SAS code is case insensitive it does not matter if you code MYLIB.FILE1 or mylib.file1 in either case SAS will use a file named 'file1.sas7bdat' (all lowercase) in the directory that the fileref MYLIB points to so it will ignore files named File.sas7bdat or FILE1.SAS7BDAT.

fpb1
Obsidian | Level 7

Not my data, but the Little SAS Book provides example file names in a variety of cases. At least now I know that Unix is a possible answer to unexpected results going forward.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation