BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mraposa1
Calcite | Level 5

I have a dataset from a survey where one of the questions was select all that apply. When exported from Qualtrics to Excel, the variable is in this format:

Obs

Covid

There are 16 potential response options. I am stuck how to create binary variables for each response option without hardcoding everything in excel. I ultimately want to determine how many observations selected each response option. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
data have;
infile cards dsd;
input obs $ COVID : $20.;
cards;
"1", "1,10,11,12,13,14"
"2", "1,12"
;;;;
run;

data binary;
set have;

nwords = countw(covid);

array _covid(14) covid1-covid14 ;

*set all to 0;
do i=1 to 14;
_covid(i) = 0;
end;

*set to 1 for each value of the COVID variable, ie COVID1=1, COVID10=1, COVID11=1 etc;
do i=1 to nwords;
	index = input(scan(covid, i), 8.);
	_covid(index) = 1;
end;

drop nwords index i;
run;

@mraposa1 wrote:

I have a dataset from a survey where one of the questions was select all that apply. When exported from Qualtrics to Excel, the variable is in this format:

Obs

Covid

There are 16 potential response options. I am stuck how to create binary variables for each response option without hardcoding everything in excel. I ultimately want to determine how many observations selected each response option. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User
data have;
infile cards dsd;
input obs $ COVID : $20.;
cards;
"1", "1,10,11,12,13,14"
"2", "1,12"
;;;;
run;

data binary;
set have;

nwords = countw(covid);

array _covid(14) covid1-covid14 ;

*set all to 0;
do i=1 to 14;
_covid(i) = 0;
end;

*set to 1 for each value of the COVID variable, ie COVID1=1, COVID10=1, COVID11=1 etc;
do i=1 to nwords;
	index = input(scan(covid, i), 8.);
	_covid(index) = 1;
end;

drop nwords index i;
run;

@mraposa1 wrote:

Obs

Covid

mraposa1
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can also loop the other way. Loop over the codes 1 to 14 and check if they are in the list or not.

data binary;
  set have;
  array _covid covid1-covid14 ;
  do index=1 to 14 ;
     _covid[index] = 0 <  indexw(covid,cats(index),', ')  ;
  end;
  drop index;
run;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation