BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rlmabe
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, I am a student working on an assignment in SAS Studio On Demand for Academics. My professor provided us with code in a dropbox folder and instructed us to copy and paste the code and replace the user number with our own user number at the bottom right of the page. This worked for everyone in my class except for myself. I had my professor as well as another classmate assist me, and we could not understand why my code would not run. the error message continuously read "library STSM does not exist." please help!

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User
Please share the code and log.
Also include a screenshot of your user number shown in the Servers Folders & Files pane (properties).
rlmabe
Calcite | Level 5

The code is 

%let dataloc=/home/u63060860/STSM/Data;
%let programloc=/home/u63060860/STSM;
libname STSM "&dataloc";

The log is

1 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
73 %let dataloc=/home/u63060860/STSM/Data;
74 %let programloc=/home/u63060860/STSM;
75 libname STSM "&dataloc";
NOTE: Library STSM does not exist.
77 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;

tom_grant
SAS Super FREQ
Can you send a screenshot of your Server Files & Folders with Files(Home) directory expanded?
tom_grant
SAS Super FREQ
Also you can use a ~ to replace /home/u63060860 - it will automatic point to any user's home directory (let your professor know)
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

For others who are having this issue, please note that it appears the professor is using the Time Series Essentials course material, which expects a top level class folder of STSM. Then inside that folder, you need to have a sub-folder named data. Please note that SAS OnDemand for Academics is running on a Linux system, so folder names are case sensitive. Typically in our programs in our classes, the top class folder is all caps, while the subfolders are typically lowercase.

Also, in our classes, when we provide instructions for SAS OnDemand for Academics, we expect that the top level class folder will be created directly underneath the Files (Home) top node in the Server Files and Folders pane.

Usually, your Files (Home) location has a physical file path of:

/home/<yourUserID> 

where <yourUserID> could be johndoe0, or student3 or more recently something like u1234567, where the userID starts with a lowercase 'u'.

You can ALWAYS verify any folder path in SAS OnDemand for Academics by right-clicking on the folder and choose Properties from the popup menu. In the Properties window, there is a location field that will show the EXACT path to that folder.

So for a path of /home/u63060860/STSM/Data, that means that under Files (Home) top node, you would have a folder specified in upper-case of STSM and then UNDER the STSM folder, you would have a sub-folder of mixed case for Data. If you have the STSM class folder in lower case or the data subfolder in the wrong case then the folder would not be found.

This is why it is always a good idea to use the Properties method to find the full and correct physical folder name for your class folders.

The workaround suggested of using a ~ as a placeholder for your HOME folder location will work. So these are equivalent locations:

/home/u63060860/STSM/Data

~/STSM/Data

because the ~ is a placeholder for the /home/<yourUserID> portion of the physical path. However that location also specifies that you've made an STSM class folder and a Data subfolder, with exactly those cases for spelling under the Files (Home) top folder. Error messages such as shown in the log messages would be issued for ANY of these possible conditions:

1) userID is incorrect

2) STSM folder is NOT directly under Files (Home) location

3) STSM folder exists but is spelled differently or in a different case, such at SMST, stsm, StsM, Stsm any of these differently spelled and differently cased folders would not match what is shown in your error message. Your code specified STSM all in upper case, that means you must have an STSM folder specified in upper case.

4) STSM folder exists, but the Data subfolder is not spelled as specified. For example, any of these names would not match: data, DaTa, DATA, or any misspelling, such as DAAT or DTAA

If your instructor is using the our STSM class, you may also have to run a program to create the data files you need. I am not sure what instructions you were provided in regard to creating the STSM folder and the Data subfolder, however, you might want to go back through those instructions and make sure that you created all the folders and subfolders as needed for the class.

Cynthia 

tom_grant
SAS Super FREQ

Guessing you solved your issue??

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation