BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
geneshackman
Pyrite | Level 9

I'm sure this should be simple, but it's taking me a while to find it. I want to change a wide data set to a long data set. However, I want the first sets of columns to stay the same. I'm attaching two made up, fictional data sets. Testwide.xlsx is the input data set, that has a wide format, and I want to change it to testlong.xlsx, which would be the output data set, with a long format.

I can find lots of websites on changing wide to long, but only when you pivot or transpose starting at the first variable, and all the other ones transpose. I want the first set of columns to stay the same for each row.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
Your sample code looks correct, I'd explicitly add the variables to transpose via a VAR statement but I think it will default to everything else.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User
You can set those as multiple by variables.
geneshackman
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Reeza. Thanks for responding. What would I do, in SAS, to change the wide data set into the long data set. You mean something like this?

proc transpose data=testwide out=testlong;

by county group indicator;

run;

thanks

Reeza
Super User
I can't download excel at the moment, so no idea what your samples look like. It's much easier if you include the sample data in your posts.
geneshackman
Pyrite | Level 9

I usually don't include in my posts because they often don't show up the way I have them, but here goes. This is the wide version

County group indicator city burbs rural Total
Albany capital wijits 87 45 23 40
Da Bronx NYC wijits 23 54 32 47
Albany Capital thingies 12 18 13 15
Da Bronx NYC thingies 15 10 15 12

I want to change it to this long version

County group indicator location value
Albany capital wijits city 87
Albany capital wijits burbs 45
Albany capital wijits rural 23
Albany capital wijits total 40
Da Bronx NYC wijits city 23
Da Bronx NYC wijits burbs 54
Da Bronx NYC wijits rural 32
Da Bronx NYC wijits total 47
Albany Capital thingies city 12
Albany Capital thingies burbs 18
Albany Capital thingies rural 13
Albany Capital thingies total 15
Da Bronx NYC thingies city 15
Da Bronx NYC thingies burbs 10
Da Bronx NYC thingies rural 15
Da Bronx NYC thingies total 12
Reeza
Super User
Your sample code looks correct, I'd explicitly add the variables to transpose via a VAR statement but I think it will default to everything else.
geneshackman
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi 

I was getting 0 rows of output until i put in the var line, so that looks right. Thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation