BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tianerhu
Pyrite | Level 9

The following statements are true about automatic conversion:

It produces a numeric missing value from any character value that does not conform to standard numeric notation(digits with an optional decimal point, leading sign, or scientific notation)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello @PaigeMiller ,

Unfortunately that extremely confusing wording is in the SAS documentation.

Here it is: https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/v_015/lepg/n04koei84kuaodn1g21eyx4btome.htm

Click on: 
Example: Use Automatic Type Conversions

and scroll a bit down to "Key Ideas" section.

As far as I know "digits with an optional decimal point, leading sign, or scientific notation" are standard numeric notation but the sentence is indeed written in such a way that one suspects the opposite. In other words, sentence is counter-intuitive to read.

Here's automatic conversion with a leading sign (a + sign):

data _NULL_;
a='+1.23';
b=a*1.0;
put b=;
run;

Kind regards,

Koen

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

There is no context here, we don't know what SAS function or statement this is referring to, we don't even know it is referring to SAS. Can you please provide some context?

--
Paige Miller
tianerhu
Pyrite | Level 9

tianerhu_0-1629489481856.png

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

It's still not clear to me what question is being asked, and if true/false is the desired answer.

Furthermore, I find this wording extremely confusing:

The following statements are true about automatic conversion:

It produces a numeric missing value from any character value that does not conform to standard numeric notation(digits with an optional decimal point, leading sign, or scientific notation)

Is "digits with an optional decimal point, leading sign, or scientific notation" being the conditions that "does not conform to standard numeric notation"? Or is "digits with an optional decimal point, leading sign, or scientific notation" being the conditions that DO conform to standard number notation?

All around, a horribly worded question, which I decline to spend more time on.

--
Paige Miller
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello @PaigeMiller ,

Unfortunately that extremely confusing wording is in the SAS documentation.

Here it is: https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/v_015/lepg/n04koei84kuaodn1g21eyx4btome.htm

Click on: 
Example: Use Automatic Type Conversions

and scroll a bit down to "Key Ideas" section.

As far as I know "digits with an optional decimal point, leading sign, or scientific notation" are standard numeric notation but the sentence is indeed written in such a way that one suspects the opposite. In other words, sentence is counter-intuitive to read.

Here's automatic conversion with a leading sign (a + sign):

data _NULL_;
a='+1.23';
b=a*1.0;
put b=;
run;

Kind regards,

Koen

tianerhu
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you for your answer.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can send feedback to the documentation team by clicking on the FEEDBACK link in the page header. They are very responsive.

I am not sure there is much confusion in the sentence you quoted.

• It produces a numeric missing value from any character value that does not conform to standard numeric notation (digits with an optional decimal point, leading sign, or scientific notation).

How else would you describe a string that represents a number?

But if you can suggest clearer wording I am sure they would appreciate it.

tianerhu
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you for your help .
tianerhu
Pyrite | Level 9
Could you tell me where is the feedback link ? I can not find it .
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

When reading any of the documentation pages it is in the upper right.

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 9.04.50 PM.png

tianerhu
Pyrite | Level 9
Your advise give me a big help , thanks .
tianerhu
Pyrite | Level 9
sorry about that .
ballardw
Super User

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that means a + or - (minus) before the rest of the value

This sounds like a True/False question in a quiz or similar.

tianerhu
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you for your help.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation