BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KarenKeating
Calcite | Level 5

I have created two sas7bdat files for my class.  Students download them from the course website (Canvas) and upload them to SAS Studio.  We are not using Enterprise Guide and we do not have SAS installed on our machines.  The files appear to upload properly, but when I double click on the file name, I get an error message that the file does not exist.  There is absolutely no coding involved in this process, so the earlier solutions regarding library names, etc., should not be the problem.  I am running Windows 10, but some students running a Mac have had the same problem.  See the screen shot below.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Karen Keating

ScreenShotError.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Filenames of dataset files MUST be lowercase only. While datasets are always displayed in uppercase within SAS, the files themselves need to be lowercase.

So you need to rename your files

minute1.sas7bdat
minute5.sas7bdat

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

I have created two sas7bdat files for my class. 8><  There is absolutely no coding involved in this process, so the earlier solutions regarding library names, etc., should not be the problem. 

That's not true. These files are SAS data sets need to be accessed via a library.

Because you did not define one, SAS created one for you (called _TEMP6) but something is not quite as expected.

Define a library and see what happens when you access the file from the library,

KarenKeating
Calcite | Level 5

I can view the contents of other sas7bdat files  without creating a library.  I just double-click the file name and the table appears in the programming window.  Something is different with these two files.  Even when I define a library (using copy-and-paste to avoid typos), I still cannot access these two files.

I am truly perplexed about this.  I can create the files, download them to my PC and then upload them to the SAS server, and everything works fine.  When I download the same files from Canvas and upload them to SAS, the error occurs.

Here is my code:

libname myfiles '/home/keatingk/STAT 725/2019 Fall Homework';
proc contents data=myfiles.MINUTE1; run;
data temp1;
 set myfiles.MINUTE1;
 run;

Here are the messages in the log file:

71         libname myfiles '/home/keatingk/STAT 725/2019 Fall Homework';
 NOTE: Libref MYFILES was successfully assigned as follows: 
       Engine:        V9 
       Physical Name: /home/keatingk/STAT 725/2019 Fall Homework
 73         proc contents data=myfiles.MINUTE1; run;
 ERROR: File MYFILES.MINUTE1.DATA does not exist.

NOTE: Statements not processed because of errors noted above.
 NOTE: PROCEDURE CONTENTS used (Total process time):
              (. . . some lines are removed . . .)       
 NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
 76         data temp1;
 77          set myfiles.MINUTE1;
 ERROR: File MYFILES.MINUTE1.DATA does not exist.
 78          run;

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
 WARNING: The data set WORK.TEMP1 may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 0 variables.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
The issue seems to be with the file getting corrupted during the transfer from what you describe.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Filenames of dataset files MUST be lowercase only. While datasets are always displayed in uppercase within SAS, the files themselves need to be lowercase.

So you need to rename your files

minute1.sas7bdat
minute5.sas7bdat

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation