BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bentleyj1
Quartz | Level 8

There are quite a few questions about unquoting but none provide a solution for my problem.  I have a macro variable containing a directory string that is created in the SAS desktop environment and passed to a server via %syslput.  %syslput requires that the macro variable be %bquoted or else it will return an 'unrecognized options' error because of the / delimiters.  That's ok.

When I use the macro variable in the server environment in an X-Command it works just fine but SYMBOLGEN returns the "Some characters in the above value which were subject to macro quoting have been unquoted for printing." message.  Using the %unquote function doesn't make the message go away.  I'm wondering how to make it go away, other than use NOSYMBOLGEN.  This does not run inside a macro.

%let dirFieldList=/risk/data/201808/filelist.txt;

%syslput dirFieldList=%bquote(&dirFieldList);

RSUBMIT;

options symbolgen;

x rm %unquote(&dirFileList);

** Returns same message when &dirFileList is not inside " " ;

496 options symbolgen; 

498 x rm %unquote("&dirFileList");    

SYMBOLGEN: Macro variable DIRFILELIST resolves to /sasapp/credrisk/wfdscrdm/filelist.txt

SYMBOLGEN: Some characters in the above value which were subject to macro quoting have been unquoted for printing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Vince_SAS
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I don't know if you can selectively suppress SYMBOLGEN messages, but perhaps a different method would work - system environment variables.  Untested code:

RSUBMIT;

options symbolgen;
options set=DIRFILELIST '/risk/data/201808/filelist.txt';

x 'rm $DIRFILELIST';

Vince DelGobbo

SAS R&D

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Vince_SAS
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I don't know if you can selectively suppress SYMBOLGEN messages, but perhaps a different method would work - system environment variables.  Untested code:

RSUBMIT;

options symbolgen;
options set=DIRFILELIST '/risk/data/201808/filelist.txt';

x 'rm $DIRFILELIST';

Vince DelGobbo

SAS R&D

bentleyj1
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Vince!  Yeah, this could work for me.  I'll give it a spin.

I just want to get rid of the message.  Unexpected notes and messages make some people nervous, and I don't like them in my logs even when they're harmless.

John

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation