BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AJ_Brien
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I'm trying to perform an operation where if a certain variable has a missing value, it ends up getting the value of some other variable. But in addition to that, the new value created should be filled up with leading zeros to make the size of the missing variable a certain length.

For eg., the value of my variable id (char 19.) is null, so it needs to get the value of its corresponding 'prod'(num 12.) which in this case is 123. so my id value should be 0000000000000000123.

To do this, I'm using this logic:

if id = null then
id=cats(repeat('0',19-length(prod)-1), prod);

However, since the output I'm getting is 0000000123 instead of 0000000000000000123 because the defined length of the 'prod' var is 12. which is set based on the max size of 'prod'. So the length function comes out to be 12 instead of the true length of 'prod' which could be anything upto 12. How do I make my code to see the true length of each prod value rather than the defined length?

Or if there is a better way to perform this operation, I'd appreciate learning about it.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star
You can't afford to ignore messages in the log.

The LENGTH function applies to character strings only, not to numbers. So that forces SAS to make a numeric to character conversion and it uses a 12 character format.

Try replacing length(prod) with length(left(prod) ) The conversion still takes place, but LENGTH should get the right value.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star
You can't afford to ignore messages in the log.

The LENGTH function applies to character strings only, not to numbers. So that forces SAS to make a numeric to character conversion and it uses a 12 character format.

Try replacing length(prod) with length(left(prod) ) The conversion still takes place, but LENGTH should get the right value.
AJ_Brien
Quartz | Level 8
That makes sense, thank you!
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @AJ_Brien,

@AJ_Brien wrote:

Or if there is a better way to perform this operation, I'd appreciate learning about it.

The standard way of writing numeric values with leading zeros is to use the Zw.d format (see example below). An explicit numeric-to-character conversion using the PUT function avoids the annoying "NOTE: Numeric values have been converted to character values ..." in the log.

Also, the IF condition "id = null" will produce a log message "NOTE: Variable null is uninitialized." and a new variable (null), unless null is an existing variable. To check if character variable id is missing, you can use one of several functions (including MISSING, CMISS and LENGTHN) or compare id to a blank character constant:

if id=' ' then id=put(prod, z19.);

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It seems you are working very hard to do something you don't need to do.  To produce a string with leading zeros from a number use the Z format.

if missing(id) then id=put(prod,z19.);

Or use the COALESCEC() function and eliminate the IF/THEN.

id=coalescec(id,put(prod,z19.));

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation