BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Oligolas
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

I'm quoting a list of variables to process in a data step placed inside a macro.

I can't figure out why I need to remove the second %str to make this step work inside a macro.

Since I get the ERROR: Expected close parenthesis after macro function invocation not found.

What does the macro processor return when processing?

How SAS Processes Statements with Macro Activity 

%let paramcd=Alfred Louise;
%macro works();
   data want;
      set sashelp.class(where=(Name in ("%sysfunc(tranwrd(%sysfunc(compbl(&paramcd.)),%str( )," "))")
                       ));
   run;
%mend works;
%works;

%macro doesNotWork();
   data want;
      set sashelp.class(where=(Name in ("%sysfunc(tranwrd(%sysfunc(compbl(&paramcd.)),%str( ),%str(" ")))")
                       ));
   run;
%mend doesNotWork;
%doesNotWork;

- Cheers -

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Oligolas wrote:

you're both right

@PaigeMiller I'd expect SAS to recognize that the quotes inside %STR are matched?

And yet, it doesn't, because the quotes are not matched. Matched quotes indicate that what is between them is quoted, i.e. is a text string. You have a need for a double-quote character at the end of a text string, followed by a space, followed by a double-quote character to start another text string. You are not trying to quote the text between them.

As Tom says, you are passing the the %STR function text that doesn't have characters that need %STR. And so the interpretation is different.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Using quotes or double-quotes as text can get tricky inside the macro processor. You need to indicate that these are considered unmatched double-quotes, by using %" rather than just ". Now both macros work.

%let paramcd=Alfred Louise;

%macro works;
   data want;
      set sashelp.class(where=(Name in ("%sysfunc(tranwrd(%sysfunc(compbl(&paramcd.)),%str( )," "))")  ));
   run;
%mend works;
%works

%macro doesNotWork;
   data want;
      set sashelp.class(where=(Name in ("%sysfunc(tranwrd(%sysfunc(compbl(&paramcd.)),%str( ),%str(%" %")))")
                       ));
   run;
%mend doesNotWork;
%doesNotWork

--
Paige Miller
Oligolas
Barite | Level 11

you're both right

@Tom I sometimes pass special characters through %STR in other context and didn't expect SAS to crash here.

@PaigeMiller I'd expect SAS to recognize that the quotes inside %STR are matched?

- Cheers -

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Oligolas wrote:

you're both right

And yet, it doesn't, because the quotes are not matched. Matched quotes indicate that what is between them is quoted, i.e. is a text string. You have a need for a double-quote character at the end of a text string, followed by a space, followed by a double-quote character to start another text string. You are not trying to quote the text between them.

As Tom says, you are passing the the %STR function text that doesn't have characters that need %STR. And so the interpretation is different.

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why did you add the %STR() to quote something that does not need quoting?  To include quotes in %STR() you need to escape them with %.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation