BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
aiste
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello everyone,

I am struggling with a very simple problem but somehow I am not getting what I want to - to addition values in one column by creating another column, given several criteria.

I add a little extract of the dataset, in a very simplified version, we have three columns - jour (date), investor(a number of ID), position(a number).

I want to create another column named sumpos which would provide me with a sum of Position variable IF the investor is the same AND IF the date is the same - basically, daily positions.

The pieces of code I have tried are the following:

proc sql;
create table ptf_funds as
select
investor,
jour,
SUM(Position) as sumPosition
from funds_merged1
group by investor, jour;
quit;

but this code above does not add all the values - skips some of them and I did not manage to understand which and why.

Another way I have tried is the following:

data atrial_funds;
set funds_merged1;
if ((investor=investor) AND (jour=jour))then sum(Position)=sumPosition;
else sumPosition=sumPosition;
run;

But I am not sure if this would work and I get an error saying that I did not define the sum as an array.

If anyone could help me, this would be great!

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

I'm fairly certain you just need a proc means, unless you want a running total in your data set?

proc sort data=funds_merged1;
by investor jour;
run;

proc means data=funds_merged N SUM;
by investor jour;
var position;
output out=want sum(position) = Position;
run;

If you do want a running total you want this then:

proc sort data=funds_merged1;
by investor jour;
run;

data want_running_total;
set funds_merged1;
by investor jour;
if first.jour then runningTotal = position;
else runningTotal + position;
run;

BY group processing allows you to group your analysis by different variables and you don't need to check for investor=investor. FYI - since SAS only processes a line at a time, investor=investor will always be true since it's referring to the same values.

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

What's wrong with your SQL query? Can you give an example of the data (datastep code) that does not sum correclty?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation