BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bhu
Obsidian | Level 7 bhu
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a situation where I got field names for sql join condition but with a comma at last. I want to remove the last comma. The field_names1 is calculated generically that it has not quotes.

%let field_names1=a.field1=b.field1 and a.field1=b.field2,;
%put &field_names1;
%let field_names=%substr(&field_names1,1,%length(&field_names1)-1);

%put &field_names;

it produces error:

ERROR: Macro function %SUBSTR has too many arguments.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this?

%let field_names=%substr(%superq(field_names1),1,%length(%superq(field_names1))-1);
%put &field_names;

I would do this instead:

%let field_names=%sysfunc(compress(%superq(field_names1),%str(,)));
%put &field_names;

I like using function %superq(). 

It allows to blissfully sidestep many issues with problematic characters in macro variables.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this?

%let field_names=%substr(%superq(field_names1),1,%length(%superq(field_names1))-1);
%put &field_names;

I would do this instead:

%let field_names=%sysfunc(compress(%superq(field_names1),%str(,)));
%put &field_names;

I like using function %superq(). 

It allows to blissfully sidestep many issues with problematic characters in macro variables.  

ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I second @ChrisNZ 's recommendation of %superq, which I often use if I don't know the structure of the macro variable input (such as a generic macro that may be called by end users). 

But, per my other post, I recommend you don't put commas in your macro variables at all, esp. those that may serve as parameters to other macros or macro functions.

P.S.:  Your problem is that that commas in your macro variable are passed as syntax to the %substr() macro function, which then thinks you're passing in too many parameters to that function.

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
bhu
Obsidian | Level 7 bhu
Obsidian | Level 7
%superq works like magic. Thanks.
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

My own approach to this is, I don't include "syntax" with "data".  In other words, don't include commas, quotation marks, etc, etc in with your macro variables.  Especially commas - you're only going to confuse the macro tokenizer without convoluted quoting that you don't have to do.

Instead, "inject" the syntax into your code at "run time".

For this I use a couple macros:

https://github.com/scottbass/SAS/blob/master/Macro/seplist.sas (originally written by Richard Devenezia)

https://github.com/scottbass/SAS/blob/master/Macro/squote.sas (originally written by "Tom") (useful for RDBMS explicit passthrough that requires single quoted literals)

See the macro header for use cases and original author attribution.

So, instead of:

%let list = "foo","bar","blah";
data foo;
   set bar;
   where var in (&list);
run;

I use:

%let list = foo bar blah;
data foo;
   set bar;
   where var in (%seplist(&list,nest=qq));
run;

Hope this helps...

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
Satish_Parida
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

This works.

%let field_names1=%str(a.field1=b.field1 and a.field1=b.field2,);
%put &=field_names1;

data _null_;
orginal_string="&field_names1.";
result_string=substr(strip(orginal_string),1,length(strip(orginal_string))-1);
call symput('field_names',result_string);
run;

%put &=field_names;

Please let us know if it worked for you.

bhu
Obsidian | Level 7 bhu
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Satish,
Your solution works fine in a datastep. Thanks.
Is there any difference between &variable. and &=variable?
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/mcrolref/62978/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n189qvy83pmkt6n1b...

Scroll down to the tip.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation