BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASAna
Quartz | Level 8

Hi SAS users,

I have a spread sheet with tabs named with spaces like ( TEST A&B , TEST B&C ..Etc)  , Can spaces be read in ? OR is there any other solution on how to read them.

%macro Excel_Read(sheet);

proc import datafile = "path"
    OUT = &sheet
     DBMS=XLSX
        REPLACE;
    SHEET ="&sheet";
 run;

proc append  base = all_data  data=&sheet; run;

%mend Excel_Read;

%Excel_Read(TEST A&B );
%Excel_Read(TEST B&C);
%Excel_Read(TEST C&D);
%Excel_Read(TEST E&F);

Thanks,

Ana

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

You can either allow your data sets to have spaces using the following:

options validvarname=any;

or you can remove the spaces from the data set name using the compress function, something like:

OUT =  %sysfunc(compress(&sheet))
     DBMS=XLSX
        REPLACE;
    SHEET ="&sheet";
 run;

@SASAna wrote:

Hi SAS users,

I have a spread sheet with tabs named with spaces like ( TEST A&B , TEST B&C ..Etc)  , Can spaces be read in ? OR is there any other solution on how to read them.

OUT = &sheet
     DBMS=XLSX
        REPLACE;
    SHEET ="&sheet";
 run;

proc append  base = all_data  data=&sheet; run;

%mend Excel_Read;

%Excel_Read(TEST A&B );
%Excel_Read(TEST B&C);
%Excel_Read(TEST C&D);
%Excel_Read(TEST E&F);

Thanks,

Ana

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26
options validvarname=any;

I have to say, I really don't like that option, nor its default position with SAS.  Its a bit like saying: "we have all these rules on how to structure data correctly, in a programmatic way, but what we will suggest is that forget all that and continue in the Excel way of thinking".  

SASAna
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks Reeza, but i am getting error while reading in the tabs .

WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference B not resolved for TEST A&B . I tried giving the quotes as well & tried compress & tranward functions as well.
Reeza
Super User

It's a warning not an error and likely doesn't affect your results. It has to do with the & not the name or spaces. & in SAS means a macro variable so it's trying to resolve a macro variable but it's just the &B. You can try masking it with %STR() or other masking functions if desired.

@SASAna wrote:
Thanks Reeza, but i am getting error while reading in the tabs .

WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference B not resolved for TEST A&B . I tried giving the quotes as well & tried compress & tranward functions as well.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What happened when you tried it?

You are going to have more trouble with trying to use that string as a SAS dataset name than using it as an Excel Sheetname.

But for  your proposed program there is no need to use that as the dataset name.  You can either just use a temporary name

proc import ... out=tempname ...
proc append .... data=tempname ....
proc delete data=tempname; run;

or modify the macro to have the user pass in a valid SAS dataset name.

%macro Excel_Read(sheet,dsname);
    OUT = &dsname
     DBMS=XLSX
        REPLACE;
    SHEET ="&sheet";
 run;
 proc append  base = all_data  data=&dsname; run;
%mend Excel_Read;
%Excel_Read(TEST A&B,test1 );

You might have some trouble with a value like TEST A&B that looks like it is trying to reference a macro variable named B.  You could try fixing that by requiring that the use pass in an already quoted string instead. Then the user could pass in the sheetname using single quotes and the SAS macro processor will not try to interpret macro triggers inside of the single quotes.

...  SHEET = &sheet;
%mend Excel_Read;

%Excel_Read('TEST A&B' );

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Its not the spaces which are the problem, its the fact that you have & in there which is a macro trigger.  What you could do is:

%macro excel_read(sheet);

proc import datafile = "path" out=&sheet. dbms=xlsx replace;
    sheet=&sheet.;
  run;
  proc append  base=all_data  data=&sheet.; 
  run;

%mend excel_read;

%excel_read('TEST A&B');
%excel_read('TEST B&C');
%excel_read('TEST C&D');
%excel_read('TEST E&F');

You will note the single quotes, macro only triggers when using double quotes.  A far simpler method however than this is to utilise libname xlsx:

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2015/05/20/using-libname-xlsx-to-read-and-write-excel-files/

You can then do:

libname xlsx "....xlsx";

This will create a libname to the excel file, and in there you will see all the available ranges.  You can proc copy them all out in one step, or you could copy them one by one.  Note the the SAS name for them differs from the sheetname in that spaces will be replaced by underscores, and & is underscore as well I believe.  You can use the named literal to refer to them:

'TEST A&B'n

However I would strongly advise to not program that way, but to convert to SAS naming and then program using that.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation