BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
znhnm
Quartz | Level 8

I have a char (32) type id column where I would like to sort but the sorting is not done properly so I created a new numeric_id column with Num (8) type. However, the sorting is still not working. To some point, it is correct but then I have a wrong order. For example:

Why do 121 is coming after than 957515 in an ascending sorting and how do I make a proper sorting for this char type id?

9 REPLIES 9
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Please run this code on your table and post the results. If your data is sorted by ID then it will report this:

proc contents data = MyTable;
run;

znhnm
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you.
I have:
Sorted NO

as part of the output. How can I understand what is wrong with the sorting?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

It means your sort didn't work. Try rerunning your PROC SORT step then check your SAS log for any errors. If there are no errors, run the PROC CONTENTS again to confirm the sort order is correct.

Astounding
PROC Star

One thing to check for is characters in your data that you can't see.  The simplest case, for example, would be leading blanks, which would affect the sorted order.  A quick check:

data leading_blank;
   set have;
   if varname ne left(varname);
run;

A second possibility might be other "leading" characters such as a tab character.  That's a little harder to check for, but not much:

data something_else;
   set have;
   if varname ne compress(varname,, 'kd');
run;

In this DATA step, the COMPRESS function keeps all digits and removes all other characters.

znhnm
Quartz | Level 8
Hi, thank you so much for the suggestion. I tries it both and I have zero observations in the output dataset. I think it means I don't have characters in my data that I can't see or a leading character, right? Please let me know if you'd have any other suggestions.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

See my last post regarding rerunning PROC SORT. Please post your complete SAS log including any notes and errors. If there is no evidence we would be just guessing what is going wrong.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

With a character var sorting will use the string using one character after the next starting from the left side. If you have two strings like "121" and "11737" then the second character is "1" and "2" respectively and though "11737" will sort before "121".

If you read the strings into a numerical variable then they should sort numerical and as you want them to. If that's not the case then either something with your conversion to numeric goes wrong or you don't sort the right table. 

You can take below code as your "template". The line in comment using a compress() function removes any non-digit character from your source string. That's a bit brute force but should help you to identify rows where you've got more than digits only in your source.

data have;
  infile datalines truncover;
  input c_var $32.;
  n_var=input(c_var,best32.);
/*  n_var2=input(compress(c_var,,'kd'),best32.);*/
datalines;
;

proc sort data=have out=want;
  by n_var;
run;

proc print data=want;
run;

Patrick_0-1672275534092.png

Aku
Obsidian | Level 7 Aku
Obsidian | Level 7

You can do sorting using sortseq option in Proc Sort;

proc sort data=have out=want sortseq=linguistic(Numeric_Collation=ON);
by c_var ;
run;

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Please post the complete(!!!) log of both the step where you create the numeric variable and the PROC SORT. Use this button to pist the log text:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-07 um 08.32.59.jpg

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation