BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
France
Quartz | Level 8

Dear all,

I am running following codes, which may be need to spend total 2.5 days. Could you please give me some suggestion to simplify the codes, thereby saving times?

%macro  base_of_cit;
   %local y;
   %do y=2005 %to 2015;

%local m;
   %do m=1 %to 12;

PROC SQL;
   CREATE TABLE Step2.base_of_cit&y.&m AS
     SELECT
      DISTINCT
       Docdb_family_id AS docdb_family_id_base, 
       co.psn_name
     FROM 
       Step2.year&y AS ap
       JOIN Pat_ori.Personapplication AS pe ON ap.appln_id = pe.appln_id
       JOIN Pat_ori.Companies AS co ON pe.person_id = co.person_id
       JOIN Pat_ori.Publicationsnew AS pu ON ap.appln_id = pu.appln_id
       JOIN Pat_ori.Citations AS ci ON pu.pat_publn_id = ci.pat_publn_id
     WHERE 
       pe.applt_seq_nr > 0 /* to force the query to look only at persons who are applicants*/
       AND ap.month = &m
       AND ci.cited_pat_publn_id > 0 /* to guarantee that all cited publications have been included in the sample */
     GROUP BY psn_name
     ORDER BY psn_name
;
QUIT;

PROC SQL;
   CREATE TABLE Step3.No_of_cit&y.&m AS
     SELECT
      t_base.psn_name,
      COUNT(DISTINCT t_do.docdb_family_id) AS No_of_citation
     FROM 
       Step2.base_of_cit&y.&m AS t_base
       JOIN Pat_ori.Applicationsnew AS t_ap1 ON t_ap1.docdb_family_id = t_base.docdb_family_id_base /* to set the moving window */
       JOIN Pat_ori.Docdbfamiliescitations AS t_do ON t_do.cited_docdb_family_id=t_base.docdb_family_id_base
       JOIN Pat_ori.Applicationsnew AS t_ap2 ON t_ap2.docdb_family_id=t_do.docdb_family_id
       JOIN Pat_ori.Publicationsnew AS t_pu ON t_pu.appln_id=t_ap2.appln_id
     WHERE
       YEAR(t_ap1.earliest_publn_date) NE 9999
       AND YEAR(t_pu.publn_date) NE 9999
       AND t_pu.publn_date <= intnx('year',t_ap1.earliest_publn_date,6) /* a 6-year moving window starting at the earliest publication date of a patent family */
     GROUP BY t_base.psn_name
     ORDER BY t_base.psn_name
;
QUIT;

%end;
%end; 
%mend base_of_cit;   

%base_of_cit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
How big is each data set? Can you precombine them in a view and avoid the macro loop? That would be the fastest way to speed this up. And I notice multiple libraries. Are they all on the same DB or machine or are some on the server and some local on your machine or a different server?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User
How big is each data set? Can you precombine them in a view and avoid the macro loop? That would be the fastest way to speed this up. And I notice multiple libraries. Are they all on the same DB or machine or are some on the server and some local on your machine or a different server?
France
Quartz | Level 8

Dear Reeza,

thanks for your help. I will precomine them and then count the number of data. 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation