BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Caroline
Calcite | Level 5

I will be looping through a series of text files that are outputted from another program. I need to read through each file once, pulling out certain values to build a table. There are similarities to the files, but the line numbers will vary. I have been working with do until() to look for keywords, and then input the correct values. I can get each do until() group to work singly, but when I put them in series, it bombs out. I have attached a sample file.

data test; 
length test $34. model $80. ;
infile "path\PRI018\TKN.txt" obs=60  missover;
f="F";   g="F";  
   do until(f="T");
     input test $ 2-35 @;
     if test ne 'Number of Observations           :' then delete;
   else do;
     input @40 n //// @40 POR $9.;
     f="T";
     put _n_;		
   end;
   end;
put POR;
   do until(g='T');
     input test2 $ 2-11 @;
     if test2 ne 'Ln(Load) =' then delete;
   else do;
     input @13 model & $80.;
     g="T";
     put _n_;
   end;
   end;
put model;		
drop test test2  f g ;
run;

What am I missing?

I'm using SAS 9.4 1M2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

When you put the loops together, here's what happens.

The top loop works.

The bottom loop begins, but the text "Ln(Load) = " doesn't appear for a few lines.  The first time it is not found, the DELETE statement executes.  This does not move you to the top of the DO UNTIL loop.  Rather, it moves you to the top of the entire DATA step, so the top loop will execute again.  And the top loop moves through the rest of the file without finding a match.

While other simplifications may be possible, the simplest would be to change the bottom DELETE statement to an assignment statement:

if test2 ne 'Ln(Load) =' then g="F";

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You haven't actually said what you are trying to do or get out.  If I want to find strings in a text file then:

data want;
  file...;
  input;
  if index(_infile_,"Number of Observations") or
     index(_infile_,"Ln(Load)") then output;
run;

You can then post process what is output from that.

Caroline
Calcite | Level 5

I'm trying to get out a value that immediately follows what I've found. So if it finds "Ln(Load)=" then I want it to input the rest of that line "a0 + a1 LnQ + a2 LnQ^2 + a3 Sin(2 pi dtime) + a4 Cos(2 pi dtime)" as variable model. The values need to be input in order. There are some values that I need once, but appear several times (for instance, I may search for "AMLE", but it appears for streamflow and concentration, but I only want concentration).

There are roughly a dozen different variables that I need to pick out of each file. 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

What you have there is a bit of a mess, ideally going back to source and getting actual data would be easier.  Anyways, if I had to do this, then I would just read in the whole file:

data want;
  length line $;
  file ...;
  input line $;
  retain flag1;
  if flag=1 then do;   /* I.e. row has been found, so observations now are data */
...;
end;
if flag=2 then do;
...;
end; if index(...) then flag=1;
if index(...) then flag=2;
run;

With that approach you can set numerous flags/counts etc. then just loop through the data, parsing what you need out.

Astounding
PROC Star

When you put the loops together, here's what happens.

The top loop works.

The bottom loop begins, but the text "Ln(Load) = " doesn't appear for a few lines.  The first time it is not found, the DELETE statement executes.  This does not move you to the top of the DO UNTIL loop.  Rather, it moves you to the top of the entire DATA step, so the top loop will execute again.  And the top loop moves through the rest of the file without finding a match.

While other simplifications may be possible, the simplest would be to change the bottom DELETE statement to an assignment statement:

if test2 ne 'Ln(Load) =' then g="F";

Caroline
Calcite | Level 5

That explains the results I was getting. The assignment statement actually puts it into an infinite loop because of the trailing @ on the input test2 line. When I changed the line to

if test2 ne 'Ln(Load) =' then input;

it works perfectly.

thank you

Astounding
PROC Star

Of course.  Sorry I didn't catch that the first time.  Good luck.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation