BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Caetreviop543
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am trying to select only observations that fall on the tenth, as opposed to hundredth decimal place (e.g. 1.10, 1.20, 1.30 vs. 1.11, 1.12, 1.13). The variable goes from one to five. 

I tried:

data want;

set have;

do i=1 to 5 by .1;

where var=i;

end;

run;

I receive an error that i is not on file in my data set. Does anyone know why/a different approach? 

Thanks in advance,

Emily 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

You could do a similar approach by using 'if' instead of 'where' plus some to achieve your goal, but it is neither efficient (in your example you need to check 40 numbers for one) nor robust (how do you know 1 to 5 will cover it?). Here is an alternative:

data want;
set have;
if mod(var,0.1)=0;
run;

You can't use 'where' in this case, as 'where' process data before loading into the PDV, aka, compile stage.  in your case, you need to process data during run-time stage. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
shahparth260
Quartz | Level 8
data test;
do i=1 to 5 by 0.1;
output;
end;
run;

Can you try this? I hope it helps. 

PS
Caetreviop543
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

I did try this, but it only gives me one column, i, from 1 to 5 by .1. I need the new data set to retain variables from my previous data set, which is why I used a set statement in the original code. 

Does that make sense? Thanks for your help. 

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

You could do a similar approach by using 'if' instead of 'where' plus some to achieve your goal, but it is neither efficient (in your example you need to check 40 numbers for one) nor robust (how do you know 1 to 5 will cover it?). Here is an alternative:

data want;
set have;
if mod(var,0.1)=0;
run;

You can't use 'where' in this case, as 'where' process data before loading into the PDV, aka, compile stage.  in your case, you need to process data during run-time stage. 

Astounding
PROC Star

@Haikuo has given you the right solution.  I just wanted to clarify some of the rules.

WHERE requires that the variables you refer to are part of the incoming data set.  In your original program, VAR exists, but I does not (not as part of the incoming data set, anyway).  So a WHERE statement can refer to VAR but not to I.  That's why your program generates an error.  In @Haikuo's solution, since VAR already exists, you should be able to change IF to WHERE.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Thanks for clarification, Robert. Looking back to my post, one can easily be confused, especially when I used 'if'.  I am not editing it since we already have your post.

Caetreviop543
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks! I'm not familiar with the mod function, but that worked. 

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi Emily,

You were actually lucky that SAS didn't accept your code due to the inappropriate WHERE statement. If you had used syntactically correct code such as

if var=i then output;

your selection would most likely have been incorrect: The risk of not selecting numbers like 1.2 or 2.5 (which meet your selection criterion) would have been very high because of numeric representation issues. A 0.1 increment in a DO loop is one of the standard examples of how numeric representation errors can accumulate to rounding errors which invalidate equations like var=i (see documentation).

@Haikuo's solution is much better in this regard too. To quote the documentation: "The MOD function performs extra computations, called fuzzing, to return an exact zero when the result would otherwise differ from zero because of numerical error."

Depending on how you obtained the values of var, it could still make sense to use (slightly) rounded values in selection criteria, e.g.

round(var, 1e-9)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation