BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pessi
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am trying to scan a list of variables which are in a macro. When I did harcoding it is working fine and when I am extracting them from a proc sql select into, I am not getting expected result.

Success one(hardcode): It is perfectly giving output

%let type_list = %str("Hybrid","SUV","Sedan","Sports","Truck","Wagon");
%macro type_c;
   %do i = 1 %to %sysfunc(count(&type_list.,%str(,))) +1;
        %let type = %scan(&type_list.,&i.,',');
       %put &i. is &type.;
   %end;
%mend;
%type_c;

ISSUE:

proc sql;
select distinct quote(strip(type)) into :typ_list separated by "," from sashelp.cars;
quit;

%put &typ_list.;
%macro type_c2;
    %do i = 1 %to %sysfunc(count((&typ_list.),%str(,))) +1;
        %let type2 = %scan((&typ_list.),&i.,',');
        %put &i. is &type2.;
   %end;
%mend;

%type_c2;

This one is giving output 

1 is ("Hybrid"

2 is "SUV"

3 is "Sedan"

4 is "Sports"

5 is "Truck"

6 is "Wagon")

the 1st one and 6th one are getting braces in their output which I don't want.

if I give statement by removing braces aroung &typ_lst. in scan function, I am getting error.

%let type2 = %scan(&typ_list.)&i.,',');

%scan and %sysfunc(scan) giving same result.

I want output of 1st and 6th one without braces like rest all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Your code shows

and so when you put parentheses around &typ_list, this is just adding the text ( at the left and adding the text ) at the right of &typ_list, which then gives ("Hybrid","SUV","Sedan","Sports","Truck","Wagon") as the argument to the %SCAN function. So the %SCAN function finds the first text string as ("Hybrid"

I think what you want is this:

%let type2 = %scan(%bquote(&typ_list.),&i.,',');

The %quote masks the commas inside &typ_list so they are not used as a separator of different arguments to %SCAN, and the parentheses in %BQUOTE( ) are not interpreted as being added to the text string.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Your code shows

and so when you put parentheses around &typ_list, this is just adding the text ( at the left and adding the text ) at the right of &typ_list, which then gives ("Hybrid","SUV","Sedan","Sports","Truck","Wagon") as the argument to the %SCAN function. So the %SCAN function finds the first text string as ("Hybrid"

I think what you want is this:

%let type2 = %scan(%bquote(&typ_list.),&i.,',');

The %quote masks the commas inside &typ_list so they are not used as a separator of different arguments to %SCAN, and the parentheses in %BQUOTE( ) are not interpreted as being added to the text string.

--
Paige Miller
pessi
Obsidian | Level 7
yes.. It worked.. Thanks @PaigeMiller.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation