BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
havmaage
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

I need to  scan a string separated by comma where column text sometime contains a comma itself 

here i have extracted som text from a view definition on mssql and in that  def there is an expression 

create view x as

select

Column1 as Column1,

Column2 as Column2,

ISNULL(Column3,' ') as Column3

from y 

When i try to split the string into word separated by comma it doesn't work well 

data teststep; 
i=3;
	res ="Column1 as Column1, Column2 as Column2, ISNULL(Column3,' ') as Column3";
	coldef = scan(res, i, ',');
run;

Gives the result 

ISNULL(Column3

i want it to result in ISNULL(Column3,' ') as Column3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @havmaage,

To implement the rule "Don't treat commas between parentheses as delimiters," you could temporarily replace the other commas with some odd character (e.g. 'ÿ'='FF'x) which doesn't occur elsewhere, then apply the SCAN function using that character as delimiter and eventually, if necessary, restore the replaced commas. There should be no unbalanced parentheses for this to work.

Example:

data have;
input res $80.;
cards;
Column1 as Column1, Column2 as Column2, ISNULL(Column3,' ') as Column3
f1(a, f2(b, c, d), e) as f, f2(,,0) as g, f3(((3,141),(2,718)),(1,618)) as h
;

data want(drop=_:);
set have;
do _i=1 to length(res);
  _c=char(res,_i);
  _p+(_c='(')-(_c=')');
  if _c=',' & ~_p then substr(res,_i,1)='ÿ';
end;
coldef1=scan(res,1,'ÿ');
coldef2=scan(res,2,'ÿ');
coldef3=scan(res,3,'ÿ');
res=translate(res,',','ÿ');
run;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

If you look at RES, it contains 3 commas.  So you are getting everything between the second and third commas.  Here's something that will work:

coldef = catx(',', scan(res, i, ','), scan(res, i+1, ','));

That doesn't make it a good solution, however.  To write a good solution, we would need to know more about the problem ... how do you detect when you actually have a problem with one of the items in your list.  Probably simplest:  get rid of the situation where some commas are text and some are delimiters.  Use a different character as your delimiter.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @havmaage,

To implement the rule "Don't treat commas between parentheses as delimiters," you could temporarily replace the other commas with some odd character (e.g. 'ÿ'='FF'x) which doesn't occur elsewhere, then apply the SCAN function using that character as delimiter and eventually, if necessary, restore the replaced commas. There should be no unbalanced parentheses for this to work.

Example:

data have;
input res $80.;
cards;
Column1 as Column1, Column2 as Column2, ISNULL(Column3,' ') as Column3
f1(a, f2(b, c, d), e) as f, f2(,,0) as g, f3(((3,141),(2,718)),(1,618)) as h
;

data want(drop=_:);
set have;
do _i=1 to length(res);
  _c=char(res,_i);
  _p+(_c='(')-(_c=')');
  if _c=',' & ~_p then substr(res,_i,1)='ÿ';
end;
coldef1=scan(res,1,'ÿ');
coldef2=scan(res,2,'ÿ');
coldef3=scan(res,3,'ÿ');
res=translate(res,',','ÿ');
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation