BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
lei2004
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a question about how to get the R^2 by transformed linear model? This R^2 should be under the base model and original scale. the model is log(y)=b0+bi*x+e. The R^2 needed is the model transformed back to the y=exp(b0+b1*x). I am confused how to get the R^2 by the model y=exp(b0+b1*x+e)? Is there anyone can help to figure out the code? Thanks! 

I have attachment about this topic.

2 REPLIES 2
mkeintz
PROC Star

If you are using a linear regression to fit the transformed model log(y)=b0+bi*x, with bo and bi optimized to maximize R-square, then what do you actually mean by r-square for the "original" model Y=exp(b0+bi*x)?   In the estimated model, R-square is a proportional-reduction-in-error where model error is the sum of squared(actual-estimate)  = sum of squared(log(y)-estimate(log(y))) but I don't see how one could transform that to get a similarly-defined proportional-reduction-in-error in the original scale.

I guess you could get a correlation of the observed Y and the estimated exp(b0+bi*x), and I imagine there is a way to get an R2 from that.  I just don't know what it would mean.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @lei2004 and welcome to the SAS Support Communities!

I agree that the formula for R1² in the article is a bit confusing, but (without having access to the original source by Kvålseth) I think you just need to insert the yi, their mean and the back-transformed predicted values (EDIT: that is: exp("(log yi) hat")).

Taking the first of the two numeric examples from section 3 of the article:

data have;
input x y;
log_y=log(y);
cards;
0 .5
1 4
2 6
3 7
16 12
20 22
;

proc summary data=have;
var y;
output out=stats css=css;
run;

proc reg data=have;
model log_y=x;
output out=pred p=log_y_hat;
quit;

data want(keep=sse css rsq);
if _n_=1 then set stats;
set pred end=last;
sse+(y-exp(log_y_hat))**2;
if last;
rsq=1-sse/css;
run;

Result:

css        sse        rsq

287.208    34.9594    0.87828

(matching the authors' result 0.88)

For the second example I got rsq=-0.31642, again matching the (corrected) value in the article (up to a minor rounding issue).

Equivalently, you could obtain CSS from PROC REG (see ODS table ANOVA for model y=x, which could be included in the existing PROC REG step as model log_y y=x) instead of PROC SUMMARY.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation