BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
himalayancat
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello All,

I am stil new to sas. i was searching for optimizing my sas procedures and wanted to experiment and understand how system options "buffsize" works! i got how it works but not how exactly to calculate it .i know its defaulted to 0 otherwise for optimal use.

i got below excerpt from sas documentation but not how to calculate it.Please suggest the idea. i have attached the my memory and data spects in xlsx.

"You can estimate the number of buffers that you need from the data set page size and the amount of memory in your system"

Thank you,

cats

1 REPLY 1
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

There's so many other variables to take into consideration, but one thing to think of is bumping the index buffer size. It defaults to 8192, I think, but there doesn't seem to be any downside to increasing that to the maximum of 32,767. And give it lots of them. Here's my standard buffering options (works well enough in Unix and MS)

option bufno=3000 bufsize=65535 ibufno=10000 ibufsize=32767;

Every now and again, if I'm processing a lot of datasets at a time, the output will become corrupted - that's why I've kept it to 3,000. If you're only processing one or two at a time, 10,000 buffers at 65k should be fine.

My capacity planning mate's dictum: I like big buffers and I cannot lie.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation