BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
superbibi
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Friends,

I have this table from a previous study showing the questionnaire outcomes of two groups of people with chi-square test.

The table shows the percentage of participant response at each score. 

How can I use this information to calculation the sample size for a new study in order to gain a significant different between two randomized groups with 1:1 allocation ratio, type I error = 0.05 and power = 0.8? 

Thank you.

score012345678910
study  (n= 25)percentage of participant of that score000000.80.20000
control (n= 25)percentage of participant of that score0000000.100.30.20.4
6 REPLIES 6
superbibi
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you for the response.
I also know this link is great for RxC table. http://support.sas.com/kb/25/013.html
But it assumes not exactly the method I want. I am wondering how can use all the information in this RxC table to do the sample size calculation.
Reeza
Super User
That link is a teenager (2005?). If you want to use all the information, then in my experience, no proc will work, you have to simulate the data and CI and power you want.
superbibi
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you. Do you think I should assume a meaningful difference of probability regarding this kind of sample size assumption? For example, in this case I use the information in question 6, which showed 0.2 and 0.1 at study and control group, and I wrote the code as below. 

Do you think this method appropriate?

proc power;
      twosamplefreq test=pchi
         groupproportions = (.20 .10)
         nullproportiondiff = .10 to 0.40 by 0.1
         npergroup=.
         alpha = 0.05
         power = 0.8;
   run;
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

If you asked me I'd say now you go in the opposite direction and use less information from the table. Then your sample sizes will tend to be larger than before.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @superbibi,

Many thanks for the link. Apparently I wasn't aware of this macro when I posted Re: proc power for multiple groups in 2016 (includes sample size calculation and a simulation). In that thread the RxC table was transposed (two proportions, more than two groups) and the likelihood-ratio chi-square test was used. It seems to me (at first glance) that the formula from Chow et al. (2008) I applied there doesn't use more information from the RxC table than the powerRxC macro. Couldn't it be too restrictive to use more information?

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation