BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
antonsvart
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I'm looking to conduct chi square tests for 9 outcome variables each by 29 potential risk factors (i.e., outcome #1 by risk factor #1, then risk factor #2, etc., then outcome #2 by risk factor #1 then risk factor #2, etc.). 

So far, I've conceived this piece of code, but I'm not sure how to execute it without somehow attaching numbers to my outcomes and to my risk factors.

%do i=1 to &outcome_&i;
%do j=1 to &rf_&j;
		proc freq data=myData ;
	        table &outcome_&i*&rf_&j/chisq;
		run;
%end; /*end risk factor loop*/
%end; /*end outcome loop*/

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Try

proc freq data=myData ;
   table <list of outcome variables * <list of risk variables>j/chisq;
   run;

When you use a tables statement like

Tables (a b c) * (x y z) you get results for all of the pairs: a*x a*y a*z b*x b*y b*z c*x c*y c*z.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User
Don't think you need macros. I think you need one to be a BY statement instead.

It'll depend a bit on your table structure, which you may need to change but you don't need macros for this.
antonsvart
Fluorite | Level 6

Not sure that by statement in proc freq would work here - wouldn't it generate chi square tests per every level of the by variable? I'd need just one chisq per outcome*risk factor combination.

ballardw
Super User

Try

proc freq data=myData ;
   table <list of outcome variables * <list of risk variables>j/chisq;
   run;

When you use a tables statement like

Tables (a b c) * (x y z) you get results for all of the pairs: a*x a*y a*z b*x b*y b*z c*x c*y c*z.

Reeza
Super User

Depends on your data structure. I'm assuming you have a structure something like the following:

riskfactor outcome result
1               1            8
1                1           4

Restructuring your data is also pretty straightforward to get this which then helps facilitate a lot of further analysis quite easily. 

Tidy data rules should be followed, in general, it saves you time overall. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation