BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
makset
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello

I have a problem with running vba macros with the parameter from sas.

Someone has a solution?!

my macro:

Sub Refre(Nr As Integer, TF As Integer, NrCoopy As Integer)
    FileCopy "C:\FX\Terminal\Ex_" & Nr & "_" & TF & "_1.xlsx", "C:\FX\Terminal\Ex_10" & NrCoopy & "_" & TimeFrame & "_1.xlsx"
    ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink Name:=ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Ex_10" & NrCoopy & "_" & TF & "_1.xlsx", Type:= _
        xlExcelLinks
End Sub

Sub Run()
Call Refre(0, 5, 1)
End Sub

this work

FILENAME CMDS DDE 'EXCEL|SYSTEM';
DATA _NULL_;
FILE CMDS;
PUT %unquote(%str(%'[RUN("Run")]%'));
RUN;
QUIT;

this does not work

FILENAME CMDS DDE 'EXCEL|SYSTEM';
DATA _NULL_;
FILE CMDS;
PUT %unquote(%str(%'[RUN("Refre(0, 5, 1)")]%'));
RUN;
QUIT

there is some way that the secend way would work:

thank you for help

best regards

9 REPLIES 9
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I would highly recommend you drop the DDE, its is decades out of support and doesn't work in a lot of situations.

As for the parameter, can you not put that into a cell, and point your macro to that cell rather than using a parameter?

Looks like your using VBA to copy a file, seems like a mess of a process, SAS -> VBA -> File System.  SAS can move files, but there are better tools available to IT to do these kind of logged moves.

makset
Obsidian | Level 7

As for the parameter, can you not put that into a cell, and point your macro to that cell rather than using a parameter?

it is possible to turn on a button in a specific sheet

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, what do you mean button, do you mean an Excel VBA Button object?  SAS provides functionality to move data between the two systems, it does not implement all Excel or VBA functionality.  If you want to use that then you need to do that in Excel.

Reeza
Super User

Buttons are calls to macros so yes, you should be able to do that. However, DDE commands are for Excel Version 4 (that numbering was used once upon a time) and a lot of the newer commands are not available.

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

No idea if this is relevant, but have you tried with semicolons between the parameters instead? If you are running Excel in a national language setting that uses semicolons rather than commas between parameters, the Excel command interface may want the same thing in VBA calls.

makset
Obsidian | Level 7

ok

is any other way to run the excel macro

I have sas 9.2 ts 2mo ms office 2010

thx

makset
Obsidian | Level 7

it just copies the file and updates the link

Reeza
Super User

Test it with a very basic Excel macro. Sorry this isn't text but here's what I usually use. 

You also want to verify  you have XCMD enabled, though I assume you've already tested all of this. 

You can see the macro calls at the bottom of the programs.

delete_dde_call.JPG

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation