BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bwg
Calcite | Level 5 bwg
Calcite | Level 5

I know there has been several posts about this, I've read many of them, but sadly the solutions (mainly, using Unicode server) do not work and I still get the mistake as soon as I try:

DATA CIRCUIT.FVEALL;

set DATA CIRCUIT.FVE;

run;

Some variables contain text and it was written in French; could that be the issue? I tried to remove the variables, but I hit a wall as soon as SAS reads the dataset and get the error.

Do you think this is the issue? Not sure what else it could be. Also, what could I do to fix the issue or even to just remove the variables without getting the error?

Thank you!

EDIT: I have tried outencoding (moving library to new one), I have tried to rename file, nothing works on SAS 9.4 on my laptop; however, I have noticed that while I get the warning, it still works on another computer (using SAS 9.3).

8 REPLIES 8
RyanK
Obsidian | Level 7
Need more info to help, first off, did you mean SET in the second line? Where/how was the original dataset created?
bwg
Calcite | Level 5 bwg
Calcite | Level 5

I apologize. It does have 'set' in the code.

I don't know how it was created; I was given the database. I was able to work on it on SAS 9.3 on a desktop in my lab yesterday. But it won't work on my laptop (SAS 9.4). 

For some reason that issue causes errors and thus I can't proceed with statistical analyses.

ballardw
Super User

Generally that message means that you are using a SAS data set that was created on a different operating system. Depending on the OS SAS will be able to use the data but it provides that message because it may take more time to process as a conversion takes place and sometimes there may be some slightly different results then if the file was used in it's native OS and SAS version.

This is not and error or mistake, just a notification.

The resulting data set FVEALL of

DATA CIRCUIT.FVEALL;

set CIRCUIT.FVE;

run;

should not generate that message when used. You could overwrite the existing FVE by

DATA CIRCUIT.FVEALL;

set CIRCUIT.FVE;

run;

DATA CIRCUIT.FVE;

set CIRCUIT.FVEALL;

run;

which means future use of FVE shouldn't generate the message.

bwg
Calcite | Level 5 bwg
Calcite | Level 5

That's what I understood from reading about it online. However, I still get the 'error' message as soon as the first part of the code is read in SAS, thus this trick does not work for me.

I also tried to do 'outencoding' and it doesn't work either.

Despite the 'warning', I was able to perform some statistical analyses on another computer using SAS 9.3. However, it does not work on my laptop (SAS 9.4). I have tried using the Unicode Server and Unicode Support; both don't work.

I'm a bit at lost.

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

Can you run the following proc code on your file and post the results here please

proc contents data=circuit.fve;
run;

This will tell us what operating system the file was created on and its encoding (although I don't think the encoding is the problem).

saslove
Quartz | Level 8

Where you create your library "circuit" , try this

library circuit "path" inencoding=any outencoding=any;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@bwg wrote:

That's what I understood from reading about it online. However, I still get the 'error' message as soon as the first part of the code is read in SAS, thus this trick does not work for me.

I also tried to do 'outencoding' and it doesn't work either.

Despite the 'warning', I was able to perform some statistical analyses on another computer using SAS 9.3. However, it does not work on my laptop (SAS 9.4). I have tried using the Unicode Server and Unicode Support; both don't work.

I'm a bit at lost.

If you are using different versions of SAS on different operating systems then you will definitely trigger the need to use CEDA engine to convert the files for you on the fly.  But you should not have any problems using the data.

You will have issues with format catalogs.  If you are using formats then either keep the source code and define the formats into WORK for each session that needs them.  Or create separate catalogs for each version/operating system combination that you are using and point your FMTSEARCH option setting to the correct catalog(s).

RyanK
Obsidian | Level 7

If you have problems moving datasets between computers, trying using PROC CPORT to create a transport file.  If all else fails, dump the dataset contents to a flat file then reimport it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation