BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ronein
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello

I am using proc tabulate to create multiple summary tables (For each category of  variable "origin" I create a separate summary table).

I would like to modify the code in order to create few requests:

1-I want that the order of the tables will be by the 'Total' of each table (So the order of the tables should be  'Europe'  , 'USA' ,'Asia')

2-I want to export the tables to one excel file and put the tables side by side of each other

3-For each table I want to have a title with origin information with yellow background

4-I want to display the values of  invoice sum by millions of $ 

proc sort data=sashelp.cars out=cars;
by origin;
run;

proc tabulate data=cars;
class make;
by origin;
var invoice;
table make ALL='TOTAL'  ,invoice=SUM;
Run;

thanks for your advice

1 REPLY 1
ballardw
Super User

Proc Tabulate is going to need some help from you to create custom orders.

Either you have to sort the data prior to the procedure and use the ORDER=DATA option or

1) create a new numeric variable for the order you want something to appear,

2) create a format to show that numeric variable with the desired text

3) use order= unformatted

OR you may be able to create a custom format for the class variable(s) in the desired order and the PRELOADFMT option. which may have other issues.

Showing a statistic in millions will require 1) a custom format, there is an example in Proc Format documentation and you apply a format by something like:

invoice=''*sum='Sum'*f=formatname. 

if you miss the *f= before the format name you will get syntax errors.

Depending on the specific actual data some of this may be accomplished by pre_summarizing the data with Proc summary as you can get "totals" of the class variables in combination and use _type_ to control the ones you want for a table.

Not even going to touch the Excel side by side

The option I showed yesterday using ORIGIN as a CLASS variable and in a Page expression will place a "title" before each table that looks like "Origin <origin value>" . By providing a more interesting label to the variable as an override you can get a custom "title"

proc tabulate data=sashelp.cars;
class make;
class origin;
var invoice;
table origin=[Label="Area of origin is: " style=[background=yellow] ],
      make ALL='TOTAL'  ,
      invoice=''*sum='Sum';
Run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation