BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
newbie69
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I coded some really easy code but I always got the error  "The type of the name(c) is unknown". could be the reason that there are some missing values in the column c? thanks for help 🙂

proc tabulate data = in;
class class1;
var var1;
table a, b*c;
quit;
2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star
All variables being used in a table must first appear in a CLASS or VAR statement.

At the same time, variables not being used such as CLASS1 and VAR1 should not appear.

You will need to understand the purpose of CLASS and VAR.
ballardw
Super User

@newbie69 wrote:

Hi,

I coded some really easy code but I always got the error  "The type of the name(c) is unknown". could be the reason that there are some missing values in the column c? thanks for help 🙂

If you have some missing values for VARIABLE C (SAS data sets have variables, not columns) and decide to use it as a CLASS variable then the default behavior by Tabulate is to drop the entire observation from the report. If you use C as a VAR variable, requesting a statistic like Sum or mean, then the missing values are ignored in the summary.

But nothing much is going to happen until you decide if B and C are Class or Var variables though the way you have B it pretty much should be a Class variable.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation