BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi Folks and @PGStats ,

I perform following joins many times a day to slightly exaggerate but it doesn't work today. I know that linkage variables have to have the same alignment and the format. I tried A and B in the code snippet with a variation of using LEFT(), RIGHT() and also am sure fips_tract, agecat and sex have identical length, format and informat.

Full join creates 70,338 observations and proc means produce min and max of count outcome correct. However, 

Left join, the join form I need creates 68,684 observations and proc means produce missing values. 

The difference 1654 is the size of one of datasets here.

What am I missing here? Any idea?

Thanks a lot in advance.

PROC MEANS DATA=TR_EJ_KAPOSI MIN MAX MAXDEC=1; VAR N_TRACT; RUN;

A.
PROC SQL; CREATE TABLE TR_EJ_KAPOSI AS SELECT P.TRACT_POP, T.N_TRACT,P.FIPS_TRACT, P.AGECAT,P.SEX FROM E.POP_AGESEX_RACE_POV_EJ1 P FULL JOIN TRACT_KAPOSI T ON RIGHT(P.FIPS_TRACT)=RIGHT(T.FIPS_TRACT) AND RIGHT(P.AGECAT)=RIGHT(T.AGECAT) AND RIGHT(P.SEX)=RIGHT(T.SEX); QUIT;
B. PROC SQL; CREATE TABLE TR_EJ_KAPOSI AS SELECT P.TRACT_POP, T.N_TRACT,P.FIPS_TRACT, P.AGECAT,P.SEX FROM E.POP_AGESEX_RACE_POV_EJ1 P LEFT JOIN TRACT_KAPOSI T ON P.FIPS_TRACT=T.FIPS_TRACT AND P.AGECAT=T.AGECAT AND P.SEX=T.SEX; QUIT;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @Cruise 

There must be something wrong with your input data.

You get these results if your result data has only missing values in var. N_TRACT, which happens with a left join where the condition is never true.

But with a full join you get extra observations from TRACT_KAPOSI where the condition is not met, and these observations comes with values in N_TRACT. it follows that TRACT_KAPOSI must have 1654 observations.

So even if FIPS_TRACT, AGECAT and SEX have same lengths, types and formats in both data sets, there are no observations with same values of FIPS_TRACT, AGECAT and SEX in both data sets, and therefor no contribution from TRACT_KAPOSI in a left join.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

In general, FULL JOIN and LEFT JOIN don't have to produce the same results.

When they don't produce the same results, this implies that the data sets have mismatches on the variables used in the join.

--
Paige Miller
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @Cruise 

There must be something wrong with your input data.

You get these results if your result data has only missing values in var. N_TRACT, which happens with a left join where the condition is never true.

But with a full join you get extra observations from TRACT_KAPOSI where the condition is not met, and these observations comes with values in N_TRACT. it follows that TRACT_KAPOSI must have 1654 observations.

So even if FIPS_TRACT, AGECAT and SEX have same lengths, types and formats in both data sets, there are no observations with same values of FIPS_TRACT, AGECAT and SEX in both data sets, and therefor no contribution from TRACT_KAPOSI in a left join.

Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

Thanks a lot. This happened when I re-used my old codes without reviewing first. I changed my unit of analysis from block group to a tract and the last digit for the block group was not removed to become a fips_tract. Thank again.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation