BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Justin9
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am creating a table using proc sql and was wondering if someone could help me to select all of the variables from dataset B in a left join, except for two variables: "RECORD_NUMBER" (I would need to keep RECORD_NUMBER as I will left join on a.RECORD_NUMBER=b.RECORD_NUMBER, but only dataset A's RECORD_NUMBER would be selected to be shown in the table) and "MONTH". The preferred option would be to just exclude these two variables from dataset B, as there are a fair amount of variables that would need to be listed.

proc sql;
   create table Final_Information as
   select A.*
         ,B.* /*How to keep all of B's variables, except "B.RECORD_NUMBER" and "B.MONTH"?*/
   from AC.TEST as a
   left join INITIAL_DATA as b
         on a.RECORD_NUMBER=b.RECORD_NUMBER
   ;
quit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

No need to drop b.RECORD_NUMBER because you already have a.RECORD_NUMBER and you cannot have two variables with the same name.  To drop MONTH use DROP= dataset option.

INITIAL_DATA(drop=month) as b

If you want to eliminate messages about duplicate variable names then rename RECORD_NUMBER and then add DROP= dataset option to the output dataset.

create table Final_Information(drop=b_record_number) as
   select A.*
         ,B.*    
   from AC.TEST as a
   left join INITIAL_DATA (drop=month rename=(record_number=b_record_number)) as b
         on a.RECORD_NUMBER=b.b_RECORD_NUMBER
;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Formal syntax would be instead of ,b.* to list the variables

,b.variable1, b.variable2, b.variable3 <etc>

The quick and dirty easy data set option Drop on B won't work because one of the variables you want to drop is used in an expression. Do you also have a MONTH variable in the A data set?

Justin9
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your reply! I would have typed out the usual b.[variable], b.[variable] etc. but there are a lot of variables in dataset B that I want to join on, so was wondering if there was any code to not select only the "RECORD_NUMBER" and "MONTH" (without dropping it from the INITIAL_DATA dataset). When I write A.*, there is the "MONTH" variable in dataset A already (which is the only one I want to show in the final table) and a warning appears on my log saying that it's already in the table, so that's why the preference would be to simply not select the two variables ("RECORD_NUMBER" and "MONTH"), but not have to list out every variable I want in dataset B (as there are quite a lot).

Reeza
Super User
proc sql;
   create table Final_Information as
   select A.*
         ,B.* /*How to keep all of B's variables, except "B.RECORD_NUMBER" and "B.MONTH"?*/
   from AC.TEST as a
   left join INITIAL_DATA (drop=month) as b
         on a.RECORD_NUMBER=b.RECORD_NUMBER
   ;
quit;

I think this would work but may still give you a note in the log.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

No need to drop b.RECORD_NUMBER because you already have a.RECORD_NUMBER and you cannot have two variables with the same name.  To drop MONTH use DROP= dataset option.

INITIAL_DATA(drop=month) as b

If you want to eliminate messages about duplicate variable names then rename RECORD_NUMBER and then add DROP= dataset option to the output dataset.

create table Final_Information(drop=b_record_number) as
   select A.*
         ,B.*    
   from AC.TEST as a
   left join INITIAL_DATA (drop=month rename=(record_number=b_record_number)) as b
         on a.RECORD_NUMBER=b.b_RECORD_NUMBER
;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation