BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vassYesMan
Calcite | Level 5

I am using SAS version 9.4 and am trying to export some data to a specific unnamed range in an xlsx file. The data I have is stored in the UNIX environment and I want to export it to a windows xlsx file. I have checked the proc sentit and observed the necessary license ("SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files").

I looked into ods excel however the issue with this it cannot be used to change an existing file. Also, I believe this still does not meet my requirement to export data to a windows destination as it interacts with UNIX destinations.

I have since adopted a proc export and have managed to export to a sheet, but in the default position (A1). My code can be seen below (ignoring the XXXXs which are just illustrative for completion):

%Macro ExportToLAN(Dset,LAN_Name,sheet,range);

proc export dbms=excelcs
		data=&dset.
		outfile="&LAN_Name."
		replace;
		sheet=&sheet.;
		range=&range.;
		server='XXXXXX';
		port=XXXX;
		SERVERUSER="%sysfunc(strip(&LAN_username.))";
		SERVERPASS="%sysfunc(strip(&LAN_password.))";
	run;

%Mend;

Running this macro results in a warning:

WARNING: This RANGE statement is not supported and is ignored in Export Procedure.

Does anyone have any idea on how to resolve this or better have any alternative solutions to exporting data to specific unnamed ranges?

5 REPLIES 5
CarmineVerrell
SAS Employee

Here is one example of how to use SAS Access to output to excel. In document there is also discussion , using DDE but please ignore this portion as this would not work on a server environment.

thanks

024-31: De-Mystifying the SAS® LIBNAME Engine in Microsoft Excel: A Practical Guide

vassYesMan
Calcite | Level 5
I've had a read through this an do not think it is what I am looking for. The paper references named ranges.

The following may be what I am looking for but if I have multiple tables that I want in the same sheet, each step would involve overwriting existing data.

"To write data beginning elsewhere than default cell A1, first specify an empty named range in Excel. When writing to
that range SAS will begin in the top-left cell of the range and add columns or rows as necessary."

Also, this seems complicated - does it require creating several empty rows and columns in order to get your data where you want it?
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What I have seen suggested for this is to NOT write directly to a range in the target file.

Instead write a whole SHEET in the target file and use Excel features to show the value from the sheet t in the range where you want it.

vassYesMan
Calcite | Level 5
Can you expand on this a little? With regards to excel features are you talking about setting an "=A1" where A1 contains some data I want? Or are you talking about a more sophisticated functionality I am missing.

I am exporting several small tables and they all appear on a single sheet. Currently, they are already referenced in the way above in order to format them ("=A1"). However, currently the only way I can include new tables is by copy and pasting them into the location required. Of course I am trying to get around this, but by minimising disruption to my existing spreadsheet design (which may not be optimal, however this is a separate issue).
Bravez
Obsidian | Level 7

Probably you can take a look at this new solution, have similar effects like DDE (i.e. inject values to any cell of choice in an Excel/ Word/ PowerPoint template), which works well for cloud/citrix server environment. One-Click Report Automation - An automated and user friendly workflow for efficient, flexible, and e...

Ming Zou, MD PhD
SAS Hackathon 2022 - RepTik Analytics Solution, www.reptik.swiss
Easy report generation cross-platform. Create, format, and modify your tables & reports with the ease of Office Software and fill in with data from any source automatically via RepTik PDR technology.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation